• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Molested CUCV's

dstang97

So are most Cucv's molested? I have 2 and it looks like both of them have been gone through. I can tell because there not factory screws where there should be and so on. When I go on government liquidation a lot of them look molested also.... Any horror stories?

ralbelt

Mine is all original and am trying to keep it that way,except that I painted it carc green, no camo.
dstang do you have a lead on a scrap yard in RI that has a few cucv's?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We've had 3-the M1009 we got from Alabama GL was perfect (in terms of molestation).

The M1008 we got from a fire dept. sale on GSA......... well......... a disaster.

The other M1008 we got from a local GSA (or gov deals, can't remember) was not really rigged but absolutely destroyed in terms of condition.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If possible you REALLY need to preview the vehicles on GSA. They have a nasty habit of putting vehicles in the normal category when they should be in the Scrap/Salvage category. One M1009 I bought was missing the doors, seats, gauges, dash pad, alternators, PS pump, radiator, and many other parts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I "fondle" my cucv occassionally:oops:, never actually "molested":evil: one.

HAWKMAN

Of the thirteen or so that I processed, very few were 'unmolested' most had one version or another of "field modifications" done to keep them going and when they stopped being able to move under their own power....well...... like treading water in a pool of pirana......

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL Cucvs, of the five I've had from there 4 had bent d/s, one was missing the fuel tank, one had a hole DRILLED in the fuel tank, one had an electrical fire under the hood, 3 had all the wires cut and or missing alternators and starters, missing or dead batteries, cracked tailshaft extension housing. Cracked w/s, missing door panels and glass, missing tailgates. Missing or torn dash pads and seats, missing glow plug circuits or cards, only one (Picatinny bought) was complete and fired right up. Bough another 3 GL CUCVs as SCRAP and assumed as much although one was perfect except no front axle! GSA, wow, watch out. One missing trans and transfer case, one with a truly "broken transmission" (case cracked), missing glow plugs and wiring for glow plug circuit. State auctions: severe rust (former plow trucks) Private sale (wrong injector pump, wrong title, severe rust) parts truck. However some times you get pleasant surprises, 2 new batteries (state CUCV) 4 new tires (GL) and 2 new tires (GL) easy to get titles (GSA and state), recovered seat (state CUCV) NO RUST (GL and GSA). Because of all the possible scenarios it is best to preview them before bidding, and if not take that into consideration when bidding. I have been able to bring back to life all but one (private sale CUCV) of the 10 I've had. Use common sense and assume most GL and GSA CUCVS are NON running unless you actually preview them.

Cucvnut

i think i got lucky on my M1008 it had nothing wrong it save for a bent drive shaft and needing a battery,everything was there they even put new seat covers on the truck.

dstang97

I "fondle" my cucv occassionally:oops:, never actually "molested":evil: one.

lol I touch mine all the time.

But seriously I was under the impression that these vehicles were taken care of. Then i look at mine and everything at one time was touched with missing srews, or broken tabs or just "jerry Riged" It just bothers me. How much easier could GM have made it to work on these trucks???????

Last edited:

jumpmasterjim

I've bought 20 or so CUCVs' so far and all but 3 were ok. meaning they either ran or needed minimal work to get them running, I guess I'm lucky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks