• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 MERDC pattern teaser

McGuyver

Hello all,

Since I couldn't find a copy of the MERDC pattern speciifically for the M880 in print, I decided to draw it in my self, tracing it from the M715:
Here is a shrunken down copy (forum allows no larger than 480X640 pixels) I saved in JPEG. I've actually been using a working copy in TIF that has the colors in a much more sharp cutoff. This makes it easier to do color fills in the "paint" program so I can try out different color schemes. This one is the "Summer, U.S. and Europe-Verdant" pattern. I've also got the "Winter, U.S. and Europe-Verdant", which I think I like better. Tell me what you think. I can upload larger versions of these patterns too if someone can show me where or how to do it.

Attachments

N1265

Mcguyver :

Thanks for getting this done.... I have been wanting this for a long time. I tried to "wing it" withought a pattern but I did not like how it turned out.

I will be doing my M880 in the summer pattern 8)

Nick

Elwenil

I have the manual somewhere that has the actual diagram on it for this pattern. I think it might be one of the ones posted here on SS, or it may be one I picked up from LOGSA. I'll have to check when I get home.

McGuyver

Desert Rat said:
McG,

How about the desert cammo pattern?
here's part of it. Sorry, I've only got one page so far:

P.S. These are shrunk down versions of the larger original I've been working off of. The TIF files are about 800KB each page. when I'm completely finished "cleaning up" these files, I can upload them to the forum. As I stated, the color separation is much more crisp. The JPEG format has a tendency to kind of smear the colors together at the borders.

Attachments

nattieleather

I like the look of the winter pattern.....

Just so you know most units painted one pattern and left it for both summer and winter. Around these parts most of the units painted in the winter pattern. Almost nobody followed the pattern into the bed. They painted the whole truck in color 1 and then did 2-4 on top of it but never bothered with the inside of the bed.

915A-CHIEF

The correct pattren is in TB 43-0209. #1 is forest green, #2- brown, #3 is black. This vehicle had a 4 color scheme. they do not show it in the TB. The #4 is tan. It followed the black / brown lines for contrast, reflection.
Chief.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure my print copy of the MERDC pattern has an M880 in it. I'll check it out this evening and see. I might be able to scan it, if you want it for comparison. Those patterns look good! I actually did the same thing for the CUCV pattern when I got my first truck. Not sure what I ever did with those files...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess I was mistaken. I know I've seen the pattern somewhere. Now if I can only figure out where....

Elwenil

It definitely exists out there somewhere. I know I have seen it in PDF form also, but I never saved it because I was always more interested in the 3 color patterns, so they are all I saved. The problem is all the majority of the manuals out there are updated versions that don't show the 4 color patterns.

N1265

This comes from the olive -drab web site,

"When the information in the TC 5-200 color tables is combined with the pattern design for a particular item of equipment or vehicle, any camouflage pattern can be quickly determined. If the actual pattern design is not available, or never was produced, another pattern can be adapted. For example, the M-151 pattern can be adapted for use with any jeep, the M-715 for any pick-up or similar vehicle, and the M-114 for any APC ".

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo_patterns.php

The 4 color pattern that is displayed for the M-715 was authorised to be used on all like vehicles
( M880 ) if you look at pictures of old M880 series trucks you will see evidence that this is how uncle sam painted them, I will post pictures so you can see what I mean, I personally believe that the layout that Mcgiver did is historicaly correct.....

N1265

Here are some pictures of my truck before the restoration, This is how Uncle Sam had it painted. you can see it is very similar to the M-715 lay out. The brown above the fender wells is where they threw some primer on it to prevent rust......

I also remember reading somewhere that the manual allowed 10% variation of the pattern.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks