• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How To Wake-up a Mothballed CUCV?

NMC_EXP

I'm getting the urge to buy an M1009.

Looks like GSA sells a lot of them. However it seems most of the GSA units have been parked for at least a year before being auctioned.

What items are the "pre-flight" checklist for an M1009 which has been parked and dormant for a year or two?

Items I can think of are:
  1. New batteries
  2. Check engine oil for presence of coolant or fuel
  3. Check coolant for presence of engine oil or fuel
  4. Check driveshafts for forklift modification
What if anything should be done before firing it up for the first time assuming prior maintenance records are not available?

I've never owned a diesel powered vehicle. The only MV I've owned was an M37B1 so any suggestions you have on how to bring an M1009 out of hibernation will be appreciated.

Regards

Jim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoses,belts..if you're gonna attempt drive it at all, M/C, brake fluid. Member, it's gonna be BFS NOT regular off the shelf stuff.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some might say, best to let sleeping dogs lie....

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Sound wisdom, but I don't think my 2.7L Tacoma would handle it.

Thats part of the reason I'm interested in a M1009 - being able to tow a couple of tons once in a while.
If you think the 1009 is gonna tow a ton of stuff, you're incorrect. I have towed 3100 pounds of mulch before but that's maxing it out .

reloader64

It depends on how far you have to drive it to get it home. Hoses won't rot in a year, unless they were bad to start with. Belts, maybe. Diesel fuel won't go bad in a year, unless it was already contaminated. The tires may be old, and sitting in the sun they will tend to dry rot. I have some mechanical ability, and some very good friends, so if it was me, I would probably try to drive it home, if it wasn't too far. Having said all that, if you know someone with a truck and a car trailer, that would be the easiest way.

Scott

jumpmasterjim

M-1009s wheel base is short and care must be used when towing with them, When I was stationed in Germany 86-87 we were not allowed to tow anything with the M-1009s.

hovenga67

I have towed a 2000 pound car trailer with a 4000 pound 66 Olds toronado on it with a s10 Blazer with a 2.8. So I would hope you could do the same with a full size. As long as you are carefull and load you trailer right you should be able to do what you want. As far as picking it up. I would take a tool box full of tools, some diesel kleen additive, jumper cable, probably get extra belts and bring them with, also all your basic fluids. I don't think I would do it without a decent chase vehicle. Oh yeah better bring some spare tires.
Brent

kassim503

Honestly, id rent a dolly/ tow bar and slug it home. The chances of it firing up on the spot is slim to none. But if you do decide on driving it home, id bring lots and lots of batteries, bleed the injector lines at the injector, pray the glow's work, and if you get any thumps keep the throttle down at high revs for a minute or two after at high rev's. Then pump the brakes and ensure a good pedal feel and slug it home in case that dent in the driveshaft feels like getting bigger!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks