• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

440 short block

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hmmm.....that's a mid/late seventies block, isn't it?

Elwenil

Diesels are nice but it's hard to match the raw power of a nicelly built big block Mopar. I have a 383 in my Dodge and it will out pull a lot of light diesel engines. MPG is a joke, but what theh hell, lol...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elwenil said:
Diesels are nice but it's hard to match the raw power of a nicelly built big block Mopar. I have a 383 in my Dodge and it will out pull a lot of light diesel engines. MPG is a joke, but what theh hell, lol...
That's what TWO fuel tanks are for, RIGHT?

jim

McGuyver

LOL! Thanks for the replys guys!

Clinto,
yes, this is a `76 440 block, with cylinders milled .030" over, and crank milled .010" over.

Kenny,
You are correct, double roller timing chain, flat top pistons with a compression height of 1.990" (deck clearance of .092"). 452 head castings with .030" milled off yielding a burrette measures 82.3 CC combustion chamber volume. With the .039" Felpro gasket and the above listed heads and pistons I will have a true 9:1 compressioin ratio. Cam has 278 deg intake and 288 deg exhaust (SAE) duration, cam lift of .281" intake, .296 exhaust. Lobe centers at 107 deg intake,117 deg exhaust.
As you pointed out, a big block is not for the fuel economy conscious crowd. But this is not a daily driver, so I can afford to build it as an expensive "toy".

Elwenil,
"heavy duty"( or high performance, I'm not sure which) Loadflite 727 automatic transmission. I'd prefer the NP435, but the 727 is what came with the motor.

RDD,
I like the Diesels too. Particularly the Cummins 12V 5.9 liter intercooled turbo diesel. That is the next project in line after this one. Maybe a swap into the M880 down the road?

wallew,

I actually have another club cad Dodge (`76) with a 440 that has two gas tanks as you said.

pistolnut

I'm glad this came up. Yesterday I was offered the powertrain out of an old motorhome. I'm told it is a Dodge 416ci 265hp engine with auto transmission. Runs good, 35K miles. I don't have a project to put this in, but I'll bet the price is pretty right. Should I bite?

rizzo

I am putting a 413 BB truck motor from a motorhome into my 5 ton mudder. They are suposed to have lots of torque! It is from a 1971 Champion.
what would the HP and torque be? do you know where I could find any more info on it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks