• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Wait Light. No start.

Sgt Hulka

Hi all. My M1009 was running perfectly. Short wait light, fast, strong starts. It is a 12v conversion per USFS specs (carefullly retained existing 24v system pieces to facilitate restoration down the road and kept two alternators split into isolated systems)--professionally done. Wellman 050 plugs. All lights and systems working as normal. Fresh batteries, strong professional connections.

The other morning (60 degreesF) I turned on the ignition to wait for the light. It stayed on for a very long time (30-50 seconds) which it had never done prior. Tried starting. Engine turned strong and fast as normal, but no start. Nothing. No smoke. Just nothing but strong turnover.

Shut down, waited a couple of minutes, tried again. Long wait light again. Good cranking, no start. No smoke.

Shut down to regroup and prevent further damage. Searched the forums, but couldn't find something similar. Any ideas? Many thanks!!!

Westech

CPL
if no smoke make sure you are getting fuel. the switch on the injection pump may be shot. With 60* if there is fuel it should start if it is turning over fast.

Sgt Hulka

Hi Westech. Thank you! In some ways it does behave like a fuel issue. But, why the strange wait light behavior? And would a perfectly funtioning switch fail overnight? T

Westech

CPL
ha! anyway I would check fuel.. can spray some "diesel start" or WD40 in the intake and she if she pops. Also turn on the key and open the hood and disconnect the big red wire from the pump.. you should hear a click. that is the fuel switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks