• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soap from bio byproducts

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used homemade hand soap today for the first time. We made a batch some time ago from the glycerine biodiesel byproduct.
The soap bars are not very hard, but work great, lots of lather.
Drops of lavender oil was added to give the soap an aroma.
About 10% of each batch of biodiesel is glycerine, which hardens after a while (image below).
Recipe:
About a gallon of the glycerine was heated on a hot plate to boil off the methanol.
Next add 80 grams of Lye dissolved in 1/2 gallon of water.
This mixture was heated for about 20 minutes.

After this was done, we poured the liquid into forms and stirred in a few drops of lavender oil in each.
That's all. Put the filled forms away and let sit for as long as it takes to make the soap bars firm enough to handle. 3-4 weeks or more.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can just the crap left over from the batch of bio be used for anything as is? If soap gets up to $3.00 a bar I'll start making that too!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try smearing the "crap" on something greasy, rub it in good and rinse. It's a great degreaser, but contains some lye as is, so use gloves or a brush....

That is a neat idea. You should start marketing your soap, "Bjorn's Bio-Bars".

You know, Robins warbling in the background while showing a young maiden dancing in a meadow of heather and flowers, "Made in the Meadows of Dan with the highest regard to purity and delivered in a truck using the bad stuff we removed". That sorta stuff. :roll:

We'll come visit you on your own private island. :)

A friend of mine made his own soap and gave some to us. He put lavendar oil and some lavender petals in it. My fiance' has really delicate skin and she loved it. The stuff lathered like crazy, smelled great, mild on the skin, and was a great conversation starter. Wish I had some more..............I gotta visit that guy again.

Lye calculator and supplies (one of very many):
http://www.brambleberry.com/lye_calc_1.php

Keep up the great work. Your an inspiration to us all.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Gary, that'll be another business venture I'll pass up, no doubt. Got too many ideas for my own good. :)
The bars are a bit soft and I don't know how they would survive the shipping in a hot postal service truck, but I don't mind sending you a couple of bars.
Should have your mailing addy somewhere....

Attachments

Bjorn,
I finally got around to giving you a "hat's off" on your soap.
Wow, impressive!
It has a nice mild smell to it and not overpowering of any scent.
The stuff lathers nice and rinses off really clean. Makes the skin feel slick and smooth. The fiance' (who has the worlds most sensative skin) even likes it.

I have all the ingredients to make me a batch of Biodiesel and subsequent Biosoap so some time soon. :wink:
Deepfryer products to get you around and keep you tidy.

Thanks for the clean finish! :D

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll tell youse guys a soap secret. The longer it is 'dried' (sitting in a warm, dry place with air movement) the longer it lasts.

This goes for commercially produced soap as well. If you now use a specific brand of soap, you have an idea of how long each bar lasts.

Go get two or three boxes of soap. Open the boxes and let the soap 'dry' naturally for about three months. It should last AT LEAST one third longer. It does depend on it's makeup, but basically ALL soap is made wet.

If you are pulling a bar of soap out of a box or wrapper and use it immediately, it won't last as long.

So, Polverone, Bjorn and everyone else. Think ahead. Six months ahead. Start making soap now that you will use six months from now. Find a nice, dry area that has consistent air movement (small fan on low w/timer).

Sooner that you can believe, you will have the same soap, consitently dried out and should last a lot longer. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK BJORN.

Now, about 'those other projects', anything of interest that you can share without putting things in jeopardy? You know what they say about CURIOSITY, right? I always get into trouble that way.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you like the soap Gary. I use it daily now.
Thanks for the advise Jim, as you can see from the image
above, we have at least a year's supply and there are two more trays full. :)

Regarding "other projects", you know what I do by reading these posts and articles in MVM.
Over the summer, I'll probably "harden" my biodiesel/dual tank installation to make it more water proof and also extend its low temperture operating range by heating fuel lines and more. I will also have an indicator for the FDC position to show fuel viscosity continously.

CGarbee

Bjorn,
I've got a project list that is way too long, so I can understand where you are comming from... :)
How about bringing a bunch of the soap up to Aberdeen???

I have got to get my bathroom finished (had to replace a lot of rotted wood in the floor where the former owner didn't understand that you really do need a wax ring between the WC and the waste pipe...) so that I can get back to working on the green machines...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, not many folks here use the WC term anymore! Cabell, what are you taking on the convoy this year?

CGarbee

My current convoy plans...
Drive the M37 with a M101 in tow (really hope to have a buyer for this M101 as I've got too much stuff in the yard...)
Got a buddy who is planning on driving up in my M35A2C, may have a M105 in tow depending on how many parts I bring to sell (and I wouldn't mind selling off the M105 either). Of course, if somebody wants a M104, I'll hook mine up to the M35 instead of the M105...

I'm working on a deal to tade a 1/2 ton military trailer this weekend for a generator (all I know is that it is military with a four cylinder air cooled gas engine) and the generator will be for sale as soon as I get it and go through it...

I have got to clean out the yard...

DrFoster

If your bars are too soft, simply add more lye and be sure to use one of those $9.99 drink blenders that go into the glass for mixing... it works wonders!

Likewise, if your bars are too hard and flaky, you used too much lye...

I used to render beef-soap, and it was smelly, but fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks