• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait a minute, is that what I think it is???

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going over the recent addition to the family, a 1986 CUCV. I was looking under the hood and stood dumbfounded :-? , I spotted an air compressor??? Then got to thinking, these things did not have an air compressor. Wait, stop the presses, I'm looking at an A/C compressor???? Yup, sure enough, I got a surplused M1008 with an A/C!!! :p:razz::razz:

Now, can I be sure it is a M1008? Looks like the bed is original, nothing extra under the hood or in the cab....

Has anyone else been so lucky to get govt installed A/C in their M/V? :?:

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unofficially drove it around the block...A/C blows cold but i'll still have it checked out!

Yeah, I looked at my deuce and it looks like you can start the bolts, pick it up through the big holes, slide it over, and finish tightening the rest of the way.
Did you get your cover any tighter? It looked good, made her looked like she had clothes on!!

bryan70546

Unofficially drove it around the block...A/C blows cold but i'll still have it checked out!

Yeah, I looked at my deuce and it looks like you can start the bolts, pick it up through the big holes, slide it over, and finish tightening the rest of the way.
Did you get your cover any tighter? It looked good, made her looked like she had clothes on!!
yep me and kourtney worked on it the next day its looks good now even got the cargo strap installed .

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes A/C my new to me M1009 has the same A/C setup on it and it works great! Now thtas 2 CUCV's that I have seen A/C on.
Big Jeep,

If you do not mind, look for some numbers on your A/C.

This install does not look like it was too bad, or at least not as bad as some I have read about. It does look like an almost factory install. I am going to do the same and post it here on SS. I know there are some posts on this already but this one looks like it should be there.

Might help some guys out.

bryan70546

Mr.Bill can you pm me your address and cell Number when i was clearing old messages on my phone i deleted your number . If you aint busy , me and my shadow were going to come visit
Bryan

BigjeepTX

Big Jeep,

This install does not look like it was too bad, or at least not as bad as some I have read about. It does look like an almost factory install. I am going to do the same and post it here on SS. I know there are some posts on this already but this one looks like it should be there.

Will take a look tonight when I get home see if I can find any numbers.

Both installations are aftermarket because the glovebox was cut in the pictures, mine was also. Factory A/C has a different glovebox liner. I would venture to say that whoever they were loaned the CUCV's to added the A/C mine was used my the Dept of Agriculture before it went back to GL for sale. It was probably added after the .mil loaned it to them.

BigjeepTX

Scarecrow1

Nice, the main complaint I here is theres no a/c , now you know it can be added nice find . I wonder if it was an after market add on or it has a part # others could order ??

jumpmasterjim

Big Jeep,

Ditto! It looks like the compressor is on the drivers side as well. I saw a kit for sale online a little over a year ago where the compressor was on the passenger side. This will not work with my Banks Turbo, but D/S!! Not that can happen.

BigjeepTX

I have been looking into installing AC on My 1031 and found this kit. It is specifically designed for 1009 and K series trucks. It costs almost a grand so I am saving my pennies so I can make it my spring project. Anyone had any experience with this product?

C / K Series Military M-1009 Truck / Blazer A/C System - Chevrolet AC Kits for Trucks

That is the kit my M1009 has. The Jeep place I work at is a SCS Fridget Dealer and I think this is their kit. Will let you guys know when I hear. If it is I will be able to get all the component info on it.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will take a look tonight when I get home see if I can find any numbers.

Both installations are aftermarket because the glovebox was cut in the pictures, mine was also. Factory A/C has a different glovebox liner. I would venture to say that whoever they were loaned the CUCV's to added the A/C mine was used my the Dept of Agriculture before it went back to GL for sale. It was probably added after the .mil loaned it to them.

BigjeepTX
Agree that both are aftermarket, I just thought that the install looked good and that it would be easier than some of the kits I have seen, and worth looking into.

She had a sister that went to New Mexico and I looked at the interior of both but other than the mil stuff, nothing else. With this in mind and the good condition of both, I dont think that either of these had been loaned out. I did not think to look at her more closely during the recovery to see if she had an A/C too. I'll look to see if I can find any tags or info on the unit.

Mudstone

this must be one of the minimal numbers that the air force ordered... they are part of a GM program to keep the contract. they were calling it a CUCV-III i wikipediad the CUCV and it's listed in there with the AC compressor...

Crash_AF

this must be one of the minimal numbers that the air force ordered... they are part of a GM program to keep the contract. they were calling it a CUCV-III i wikipediad the CUCV and it's listed in there with the AC compressor...
Ah, no... the CUCV-II was the fourth generation C/K pickup body style and the CUCV-III was the Silverado body style. The contract for the CUCV did not include air conditioning and any CUCV that has it had it added at the unit level or by outside agency such as USFS after release from the mil.

Both were ordered in extremely small numbers by the AF and Navy... haven't seen any in Army hands but that doesn't mean they didn't get a few as well.

Edited to add: I mean the original CUCV would not have A/C. The -II and -III both did, along with AM/FM radio.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Guys,

Last night I crawled under the dash and I cannot find any info on the unit at all. No tags, markings, information at all. Ditto on the compressor. Maybe BigJeep can find out more. Since I got my CUCV, several guys around here want one too....and I know they will want A/C as well.

4X

BTW, this is a 1986 CUCV, not a CUCV II or III. The A/C had to have been added by the unit it was issued to or a department they had loaned it out to. It looked like it could not have been older than a year or two, there was no dust on the unit and the wires looked new as well.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks