• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick Question About Filtering.

Josh

So i recently started collecting some WMO, i got a couple drums of it now, and i was going to run it threw a water seperator before i put it into a larger holding tank(have yet to get the tank) well i was thinking of using this pump from harbor freight

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

and then running it threw this

NAPAONLINE®

but there are no specs i can find for the filter for what the max PSI it can handle are, and i cant find out what PSI the pump would push the oil at.

the goal is after i run it threw this filter and let it settle for a week or so( prob longer cause im lazy anyhoe) then i would run it threw a pair of fuel filters ( probably the same ones that the deuce uses for the secondaries), i figure this will make it plenty clean and hopefully water free.

any imput, or if anyone has tried this set up before and it works/doesnt work, help would be appreicated.

Last edited:

stampy

Heat it to cause most of the crap to fall to the bottom and then drain off the bottom. ALWAYS filter AFTER you heat and drain, it will save you money on filters, I wold also put a magnet on the filter to pull out any microscopic ferrous metals, unless you centrafuge then you have no worries.

area52

Heat it to cause most of the crap to fall to the bottom and then drain off the bottom. ALWAYS filter AFTER you heat and drain, it will save you money on filters, I wold also put a magnet on the filter to pull out any microscopic ferrous metals, unless you centrafuge then you have no worries.
I second this, an easy way to heat is to put it in black barrels or a dark color and put it in the sun if possible. I have seen boxes that you put the barrel in and it has a window to let the sunlight in, sort of like a small greenhouse. Let it sit for a long time and drain crud out the bottom.

here is a good idea for a pump:

DIY, How to make a SBC veg-oil pump for cheap - Forums

Josh

I just got finished making one of those SBC pumps. Im hooking it to a 1hp washer motor, 1750 rpm. We will see how it turns out tomorrow. I am going to put a blow off with a line running to a drum, so if the filter clogs, the Pressure release should open and prevent the lines from rupturing. I'll get picture when I get it all running.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I use a piston pump system that looks similar to the HF unit. I got an error when clicking the napa link. From my piston pump I hooked up 2 spin on fuel filter bases. Each one has its own pressure gauge. Most spin on filter elements (that I have checked) are good up to about 100 psi. I have found that once the pressure gets close to 80, the flow is SO far down that you will change the filter before it hits 100psi. Also, with a setup like this, you will want to keep an eye on things. Since you will not know when the filters will get full/plugged the possibility of bursting a filter and pumping your oil onto the ground is VERY real. I have seen my pressures shoot up to 140 when I was a little distracted. Let me know if I missed anything.

Josh

Basicly what I'm going to install what is a T&P valve off a waterheater before in a T before the filters. If the back pressure gets to high, the valve will open, and bleed off into a second tank. I'm going to put a mechanical pressure gauge inline so I can see what the standard operating pressure is before I put a relief valve.

Here is a crude drawing on whats how its going to work.

PS - I have the Pnuematic pump, the problem is my aircompresser cant keep up. I can only move about 6-8 gallons of oil before I have to shut off the pump and let the system recharge, taking about 5-10 minutes.
meaning I can only filter about 1-2 GPM at best. With this pump Im hoping to boost that to 4-5gpm

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks