• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 ball joints

jimm1009

Hello out there. I was wondering if any has changed the ball joints on their
M1009 front axle yet.

I think that I need a OTC 7080 which is a 1 inch spanner nut socket for the upper nuts.
Can anyone confirm that? :lost:

Thanks,
jimm1009

skinnedknuckles

Yep you will need it, as long as the truck has the Dana 44/ Gm corperate 10 bolt style front axle. You can tell this by looking at the top of the knuckle it should be attached to the "C" on the axle tube by 1 large nut. They are not too bad to do, sometimes you need a press. I have done quite a few using just a hammer and a long steel bar. Just get your wheel bearings off the spindles ,remove the nuts holding the spindle brake caliper mount on ,use a block of wood to protect the spindle and pursuede the spindle off knuckle (it may be rusted on) pull the shafts out, take the nuts off the tie rod ends, drag link and the ball joints (put the upper ball joint nuts on a few threads so it won't fall to ground), a few raps with a hammer on the areas where the tapered seats are on the knuckles should loosen things up, take off the snap ring on the bottom ball joint, knock out the ball joints , carefully knock in the new ones by using a socket to fit around where the ball socket is ( don't hit on the ball itself just on the outer lip of the housing). Clean the taper seats, put knuckle into place on the axle "C" . There is a specific order to do this - tighten the lower ball joint nut to 80 ft lbs, use some anti-sieze on the little threaded collar and using the otc spanner tool tighten it to 40 ft. lbs. then tighten the top large nut to 100 ft. lbs.
Paul in Janesville ,Wis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks