• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's with the maroon colored interior?

MARCO1031

I did a search to see if this question had been brought up but I didn't find anything.

Does anyone know why the maroon interior color was selected for these trucks. It seems like black or dark brown would have been a better choice. I know it is a trivial question but curiosity has gotten the best of me. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe GM had an overstock of this color for some reason. I've been around it for so long whenever I see it, I think CUCV.

MARCO1031

You know Kenny I had this vision of a huge warehouse full of interior parts of this color because no one wanted the color on civvi trucks. Then of some GM exec at the negotiating table with DOD saying "If you will take this color we'll throw in 100 trucks at no charge". And the rest is history.:roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That might have been the way it went. I'm CUCV'd out today. I finished cutting and drilling all the fiberglass for the troop seats and got them installed. Looks and works real nice but I'm as itchy as I think I can get. Shoulda wore a Tyvek Suite.

MARCO1031

I think I am going to switch mine over to black. My door panels are pretty sad and the visors need to be replaced. I plan to rhino line the floor so black should work out good.

Cucvnut

I just used Black vinyl (sp) dye on my dash and door panel's and it looks great i just need to get my seat covers attached to the seat and ill be happy

MARCO1031

Cucvfreek - What kind of dye did you use and where did you get it? For those of you that have used dyes and paints on your interiors which product seems to work better? If I can just recolor what I have it sure would save some $$$.

Cucvnut

i just used some spray paint dye that's made for interior plastic its not as ruff as reg paint i got it at auto zone. i think its made by rustolelum or duplicolor

CDN-CUCV

Here's a couple shots of my interior. When painting vinyl or plastic, use a plastic primer before applying the paint. It helps with wear.

I also covered the door panels with fabric to give it a more updated look. I used a material called 'Aerotech' that has a mil-spec look and a very high wear resistance.

Attachments

army98

mine had 4 differn't colors in it, blue, black, grey and of corse marron I changed most of it to tan but will be dyeing it back to marron​

greg6459

I like the black, but it just takes some getting used to. Even though the maroon looks funny it's correct and just weird not seeing them in that color...

charlietango

maroon all the way! lol

friend of mine asked me one day "whats with the color?"

I said " they did that so it doesnt show the blood stains! "
he believed me.

ralbelt

I heard about a company that can wrap dashes, I'm hoping that they will do the dash and door panels in a brown to match the seat which is brown but needs some repair.

1stDeuce

Fellas, if you check out the available interior colors in '84-86, I'm betting maroon was the best choice... For sure there were no grey or black interiors back then. I'd bet the choices were light tan, blue, and maroon. Think I'd have picked maroon too. :)

I used some spray bomb vinyl interior paint on my old chev a LONG time ago and it's still decent looking other than where I scratched it up.
C

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks