• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dieselcraft OC-50

Avn-Tech

Group,

So as not to hijack anouther thread, where I posted about my set up, I am starting a new thread.

After doing some research, I decided to go with a Dieselcraft OC-50 setup. I purchased a complete setup (Filter and pump), on Ebay for about $800.

I also purchased a 500 gal oil storage tank from GL for about $1200, to store my processed oil in.

My setup is installed on a 55 gal drum (free). I cut a hole about 3" up from the bottom and put in a pipe (2" I think). This comes out to a T fitting, on the bottom side I put a water heater element(incase I need to heat the oil). Then I go up with reducers through a ball valve (incase I choose to remove the setup with oil in the drum).

The plumbing goes up to anouther T fitting, the right side goes to my pump suction. The left side goes to a ball shutoff valve. Continues on to a secont T fitting, The top goes to my bypass valve. The bottom goes to a ball shutoff valve, then to a discharge line. That way I can use my pump to empty my 55 gal drum.

I still have a few small leaks to fix still, and to set up collection barells for people to drop off oil for me to use. I also need to get a pump to add to my 500 gal tank to pump the oil into my trucks.

I will get more photos today when I get to the hanger, and start running my first full load.

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech

Attachments

Avn-Tech

Group,

Here are some more photos of my set up. There are photos of my oil storage tank (500 gal), and the set up. In one photo you can see the tail of my Stinson L-5(currently undergoing restoration), and Fairchild PT-19 (awaiting restoration).

Yesterday, I processed 55 gallons more oil while I worked at the shop.
I have also been given approx 200 more gallons of WMO, Hydraulic oil, Ect.....
If this continues, I may have to give processed oil away as I will not be able to use it fase enough.

Laterrrrrrr
Avn-Tech

Josh

try and find some 275 gallon totes, i believe they are stackable and they arnt to expensive, like 75-150 ea im in the process of trying to aquire a few at the moment. the ones ive looked at said they were stackable 3 high when full, so they might be another storage option for you.

kochevnik

So you are filling the 55 gallon drum, then pumping from the bottom thru the centrifuge + filter and right back into the top of the 55 gallon drum ?

My understanding is that you need to filter this WMO 4 to 5 times to get best results - seems to me you would be better off using two or more barrels and filling each alternately - dirty to clean back and forth between the two barrels. With one barrel, you are dumping clean oil back into the dirty again and again. Mathematically, you will always have some dirty oil in that drum (like the math calculus problems where you walk half the distance to your goal over and over again and technically never reach the goal :)

Or maybe in real life that doesn't make much difference ?

PsycoBob

The alternate-tank setup has been proposed in various forums, but most builders go with a single-tank system to simplify operation. The centrifuge doesn't get 100% out in a single pass, anyway. Probably the easiest way to get all of the oil to go thru the centrifuge would be a twin-tank, twin pump/centrifuge system. Add an overflow tube in case one pump runs slightly fast, and it'd be good to go. Of course, if the least run in Avn-Tech's system is when it pumps the oil into his big 500gal tank, that'd do pretty well.

The IBC (Intermediate Bulk Containers) are usually 275 gallon, but can be somewhat larger or smaller. A common place to find them is food prep plants. Vitamin C is often shipped as a liquid in these tanks. Sometimes you can find local farmers using them for watering animals- you can always try asking if they know where to get more. Craigslist is another good source. $110 is a common price from what I've seen. New they're about $600-800, depending on size & features.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks