• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy... lots of question need some direction

hitcb

Hey guys happy to be a new member. Anyways i have been looking into getting an old 6.2 diesel blazer ( 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation ) now i got tons of questions about where to start. Hopefully you guys can guide me in the right direction.

1. Now after i win the auction then what happens?
2. The vehicles i have been looking at don't have keys where do i get them?
3. The vehicles i have been looking at don't start what are the chances it will take alot of work?
4. Now i know California has been putting forth regulations that may make it near impossible to own a vehicle (diesel) like this in the near future will this be "grandfathered"?

Overall hopefully im starting this in the right thread if not feel free to redirect it and all your guys' help will be much appreciated.

maybefixit

Hi, welcome to the site.

A lot of your questions are common ones for new enthusiasts. There's a lot of info in the site already, and you'll find many 'newbie' threads that will answer your questions (and raise a bunch more :-D )

1. You will need to get an End Use Certificate - search for 'EUC' will be the best way to find out about this.
2. The keys for these are a single key type - can be readily gotten at a dealership. Look up 'CUCV keys' to find lots of information.
3. It's hard to say how much work will be needed. In some cases, GL uses forklifts to move the CUCV's around, and this often bends the driveshafts. Bent frames and fractured transmissions have also been reported, if I recall. Some places are more careful than others, the best suggestion is to preview and also know what you're looking at. If you are not already a pretty good mechanic, it may be much easier overall to buy one from a site member in the classifieds (at least you can test drive those). This will allow you to get a 'history' of the truck, its quirks, and a list of what's been repaired on that vehicle. You may find that you end up paying less for the 'used' one overall than a 'new' one off the gov't lot, after repairing all the hidden gremlins.
4. Hard to say, CA has always been big on their own ideas about 'green' stuff.

First, bear in mind that it isn't really a Blazer you'd be buying, but a CUCV. It has a 24 volt electrical system, heavier springs and lower gearing than the civilian Blazer. The gov't asked for specific stuff that is different both on the 'blazer' and 'pickup' models, than what went down the civilian assembly line. A lot of parts do interchange, but some require more adaptation than others.

There are some cases where a 'standard' 1 ton truck appears on GL, often with a stake bed or in some cases just a regular Ford or Ranger. Those are typically just another fleet truck like you'd buy at any corporate auction, but they don't have the history of the CUCV / Deuce / Army Jeep.

Have fun getting into the hobby!

maybefixit

Also for help in the search:

M1009 - 'blazer' body
M1008 - 'pickup' body

There are some other M10xx variants, such as ambulance, shop truck (toolbox bed) etc. Most postings won't refer to these vehicles as a Blazer, since there are so many differences.
One notable difference is the CUCV's usually (always?) have a locking rear differential, Gov-Lock for the M1009, and Detroit Locker for the M1008.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks