• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carguy455's 53 DEUCE

carguy455

So here are pics of my Deuce and the roadtrip home, Towerguy 1 following in his truck dodging debris and gagging on the fumes..not a SIGN of a brake on this thing and I drove it over 50 MILES that way ! Yee Ha !!!! Had a tire bulge about 4 miles from my house, got VERY lucky indeed !!!!

All this is AFTER I swallowed a mouthful of GASOLINE while priming the fuel line we rigged up on the side of the deuce, so I was very ill all the while getting the snot thrashed out of me while driving this thing that had not moved in almost 10 years !

But its home now, and although sick and sore, I survived....and Towerguy1:Mike got a day of laughter at my exspense !

Attachments

carguy455

LOL !

Towbar would have been a dam site safer !!! I was sick of waiting , wanted it home while we had a window of good weather. headlights are dead, blinkers work on the right rear only, brake lights work, but no brakes, have air pressure, master is full, no open lines, but master must be cooked ! Exhaust manifold gaskets are blown out, so I am DEAF too ! But I got more looks and thumbs up [ even had a hot girl at a convience store say "nice truck, thats cool" ...and believe it or not she was SERIOUS ] { Chicks dig deuces ! }..think the "sprag' in the front is bad, seals are bad, no brakes, but hey its old and has sat...and now its HOME to be worked on and most importantly to BUG MY NEIGHBORS !

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, master cylinders are on my list of replace not rebuild. Don't sell the sprag short right yet. Besides adjustments, the little rod that goes from the transmission to the transfer case has a spring inside. I've been finding several of these that the spring is shot. Withuot the spring, it ain't workin. Of course you can use this as an excuse to put an air shift in if you like. Working sprag trucks are knda cool though!

carguy455 said:
I swallowed a mouthful of GASOLINE while priming the fuel line
I can just see the highway patrol pulling you over. Of course that's after downshifting and coasting for 2 miles to stop with no brakes.

"What you got on your breath? You been drinkin' boy?" rofl

Looks like it fits right at home and for sure spring will be a hub of activity around the ol' barn there.

Well done.

carguy455

Polverone said:
carguy455 said:
I swallowed a mouthful of GASOLINE while priming the fuel line
I can just see the highway patrol pulling you over. Of course that's after downshifting and coasting for 2 miles to stop with no brakes.

"What you got on your breath? You been drinkin' boy?" rofl

Looks like it fits right at home and for sure spring will be a hub of activity around the ol' barn there.

Well done.

"Yeesh ocifeer , I cannot be drunked, it was only 89 octanemumium !"

raining here today, I got her out of the hole just in time ! There was much downshifting and coasting involved yesterday..only had one close one with a Nissan put put mobile, some blonde who didnt quite understand "Never pull directly in front of very large moving vehicles and expect them to stop quickly".....It looks so good sitting where it is I hate to even think of moving it to work on it. Nosey neighbor from hell went by reeeeeeeal sloooooow checking out this AM. I'd like to run it through his house in low low ! :twisted:

Wondering if gasoline cocktail will give ME I.B.S. ??? :roll:

carguy455

Plan on keepin that one gas, gas , gas..10 k origional, runs smooth, strong...Makin an offer on one of the ones we found yesterday [ see ANOTHER mv yard in gallery ] thinking 671 Cat in a bobbed deuce, or SBC in an M37 in USAF trim [ always loved the M37 , Boy Scout camp I went to as a kid had em ]

Gas breath finally gone....man that sucked ! :?

Towerguy1

I had a front row seat for the gas swallowing !!! Sorry Garry ...... Still chuckling!!! The towbar was safely in the bed of my pickup...... just in case. :)

m.walker

My M52 is a gasser I used to wish it was a diesel but after the price for diesel keeps going higher I kinda like my gasser more now ! Cool story its a neat old truck , the adventure adds so much to the sentimental value of the truck . It's nice to see another one saved . You'll have alot of fun with it ! Mark

carguy455

m.walker said:
My M52 is a gasser I used to wish it was a diesel but after the price for diesel keeps going higher I kinda like my gasser more now ! Cool story its a neat old truck , the adventure adds so much to the sentimental value of the truck . It's nice to see another one saved . You'll have alot of fun with it ! Mark
And it just gets better...Have an old guy that lives up the street, a Korean War veteran, can barely walk , he spotted it out his window and was so intruiged he got his jacket and cane and hobbled down the road 2 tenths of a mile just to check it out, brought back a bunch of memories for the old boy..dam near made me cry....

I printed off a quote and am going to stick it in the window of the deuce..had 3 people try to buy it and plenty of lookie lou's...here's the quote:

" War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of morale and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse.

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself ".

John Stuart Mill
English Economist & Philosopher (1806 - 1873)

m.walker

I know , when I first started bringing home my trucks I thought my neighbors would think I was nuts ! But most liked them and wanted to go for rides . It's one thing the people that like them think but when a vet walks up and they get that old memories look about them , they have a more personal connection with these trucks .

carguy455

vbrescueman said:
I notice the last sticker says nothing about brakes ...maybe thats why the sealtbelts are required?!? :)

VERY TRUE !! Its been here over a month and still I have not fixed the brakes, maybe soon ..I hope....doubt it...I think the neighbors are loving it though ! rofl

vbrescueman

When I drove my '67 deuce home from Va Beach To Hertford NC (approx 80 mi) the brakes went out twice due to the compressor freezing up. Found out that City Motor Pool Mech's had rtv'd over the oil hole. duh... aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks