• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chattering GP Relay - Cause?

Sgt Hulka

In the last week I've installed two new GP relays in my M1009. The latest is the Borg Warner type. Turn the key, wait light behavior is normal but as light goes out, relay chatters A LOT. Sure would appreciate some ideas. Many thanks in advance...

Blood_of_Tyrants

Try putting a diode across the small leads. Get a 1N4007 (a general purpose diode from Radio Shack but almost any 1N400? will work). Install it with the anode (the side with the line) to the + side of the relay.

Sgt Hulka

I sure will! Many, many thanks. But what do you think is causing this? (BTW, I sent you an email on a somewhat related matter we discussed previously.)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, did you determine the chattering you described in your other thread, was in fact, the Glow Plug relay(and not the AC40 relay)? Or, is this another separate problem?

Sgt Hulka

Yes. Good catch. Embarrassingly, the under dash starter relay was apparently functioning normally. It was my new GP relay that was chattering. I replaced it with an even newer, heavier duty relay which is now doing heavier duty chattering. I still haven't determined the root cause and am quite stumped...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please list the manufacturer and part number of the relay you are using. It sounds like you are either using the wrong relays or have a problem elsewhere that's causing the relay to chatter. Are you 100% sure the relay you are using, has an isolated from ground, mount?(does the relay coil have 2 terminals that are not labeled?)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks