• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 will not start, need some fast help

84cucv1ton

my lady has my m1009 tonight. shes about 2 hours away. trucks cranked for about 15 seconds. then she tried again and nothing. will not crank. she can hear the relay under the dash

what should she look for??? this sucks i have no way to get to her. thanks

Wile E. Coyote

Could be anything. The silver can between the two black Bosch relays is the starter relay, and if you pull that one out (the relay socket looks like a Christian cross when you're staring at it) you can jump across the contacts with a suitable guage of wire and see if the starter engages then. Those relays suck, but they generally weld themselves closed rather than going open. Failing that, a poor battery-to-battery connection or a poor +24V top battery connection (nearest the firewall) will show symptoms like that too -- I had that intermittently all summer until I found the time to change out the dodgy cable.

Also, I've had it where one starter bolt breaks and the starter misaligns itself to the point the bendix gear tries to throw but can't. Might want to have a look underneath and see if you still have two starter bolts.

Wile E. Coyote

From the current 'Starter Relay' thread:

"Facts thread
I would rate this as the third most common problem, but probably the most expensive one if you don't know what to do when it happens.

CUCVs have an extra starter relay under the dash. It is known to either rust and not work making the truck not start or to stick in the on position letting the starter run until the wiring harness or the starter itself burns up and is permanently damaged. You should read the two links below and the links mentioned in them before you even put batteries in the truck. This is probably the most important thing to know and to think about so you will know what to do should it happen to you.

The relay is mounted to the plate that the big plug is mounted to under the edge of the dash next to the 4WD lever. It is the bigger silver relay next to two black relays. Its purpose is to switch the 12v single from the ignition switch to 24v to trigger the 24volt starter. It has four wires plugged into it, The red wire is 24 volt feed. Solid purple goes to the starter. Black is ground. Purple with white stripe is the ignition feed. You can unplug these and jump the red to the purple and start the truck in an emergency. There is a post further down with the part numbers.

Attached Thumbnails[URL="http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/cucv/98315d1226529766t-faq-thread-cucvs-relay.jpg"]http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...ucvs-relay.jpg[/URL]

A search of starter relay will give you a bunch of threads. But the doghead starter relay modification is the one you want.
doghead starter relay modifcation

Some stuff is hard to find. But the doghead one is easy, cheap and reliable. The parts are at NAPA they had a hard time finding it but the part number is correct. When he found it he did not know why it was not coming up. I would print the doghead thread's first page and take it with you. You can call first if you want but it is a very common relay used on sears lawnmowers. "

3dubs

What? Your lady ran off with your truck! Get the dogs and round up a posse! It may be stressful but try to laugh a little but make sure she does not hear you. Mechanic's are no help with the 12/24 system unless they were military mechanic's. That is why I have AAA to get me to a place I can work. I also have one 200 mile tow a year. I have used that 200 mile tow once and I will never be without AAA now. They also offer 24V jump starts. If she was anywhere near me I would drive over to help. Maybe someone around you could help.

84cucv1ton

thanks for the reply. shes here. truck not just yet.. shes feels bad. she did nothing at all. got a great dinner out of it. i love dating a chief. such a good cook. makes mine look even worse

84cucv1ton

cleaned up the battery posts, relay under the dash is clicking, batteries have good voltage starter seems fine. time for the tms

84cucv1ton

strange second look. the starter is tight with the 2 main bolts. the round steel body of it, is very loose. never saw that before. well putting a new one in soon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks