• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M38A1 Brakes

Nhavasu

Are the front and back brakes the same? I am rebuilding the brakes and the manual shows they are the same but the front and rear are different on the vehicle

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just did my '55 A1. The front and rear are the same. I had all 4 drums and all 8 shoes next to each other and I didn't see any difference.

Can you post some pics of what you have? We can probably identify which ones are the correct A1 brakes and which ones are wrong.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I had the same problem Nhavasu. I suspect someone may have swapped an M38 axle to the rear(and it was bad).

I had a spare rear axle on a donor M38A1 and it had excellent shoes so we just swapped that onto the AF Jeep:-D

Attachments

modified

those appear to be 11 inch bendix plates for post 1971 cj-5/cj-6 . They are a typical swap for a bolt on brake upgrade (less Disk swap) If your current front brakes are indeed 10" or perhaps 11" dia. I'd keep them on if you plan on driving her often. The 11" braking surface is a dramatic improvement to the stock 9" on the M38A1 you have.

SGT FROST

Disc it

Has any body heard if the adapter brackets have been made yet for the disc brake conversion I would invest in the better system (lawyer reasons) . Suzuky Samori or Geo Tracker front brakes fit perfect with the adapter. I know a man that has a T model with wooden spokes with disc brakes (lawyer reasons) OUT!

modified

I know Ron is working on a setup using suzuki parts and putting a package together. do a search at the G503.com chat forum under GPW modifications. Currently he is still developing the brackets last I heard.:roll:

SGT FROST

Rodger that, They are now for sale at 65.00 a pair . I just mailed the cashiers Check to him , nice friendly man. Goes by artificer which in Austrialya means very high trained on mechanical trades , I think John has several degrees . He has the special made brake hoses Jap to USA type connections for 35.00 a pair. I can not wait to see them .Contact Mr. John Gibbins at 1-775-772 7787 he lives in Sparks ,Nevada SGTFROST OUT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks