• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Posting Pics

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey CC,

We have the image tags turned off. You need to upload your images to the thread. We do this because of all the problems involved with images hosted off site (people let their host sites go, delete the images, etc.).

captain-crank

OK, I'm with you so far.

When I bring the URL in from photobucket it doesn't show an image, just a link to the pic.

I have "IMG" on each end, but in Post Preview they are gone.

Like this...

So your not concerned about links to pics being dead or if the pic at that link is deleted just pics that are hotlinked from offsite ?

Hey CC,

We have the image tags turned off. You need to upload your images to the thread. We do this because of all the problems involved with images hosted off site (people let their host sites go, delete the images, etc.).

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So your not concerned about links to pics being dead or if the pic at that link is deleted just pics that are hotlinked from offsite ?
We are but there isn't anything we can do about that. We can turn the /img code off so that in order for a member to post a pic they have to upload it but we can't force a member to copy images from a link and then post them here.

A perfect example would be something like this: A member has a question about an item on ebay, so they post the link and a through discussion of said item occurs, where everyone learns something.

Then, 30 or 60 days after the auction ends, ebay pulls the auction down (as is their policy) and now the thread here is utterly useless.

What the member should have done is copy all the data and images from the ebay auction and post them here. But like I said, there is no way for us to automate this.

Makes sence, thanks for that.

But consider this when a pic is hot linked from another source it takes less bandwidth to display the pic than if it were uploaded to this site would it not ?

IE fewer resources drained on the steel soldier’s website.

And it may be a slight annoyance but if the pic is deleted from its source all you see generally is a red X where the pic URL was at.

Something to think about maybe.

We are but there isn't anything we can do about that. We can turn the /img code off so that in order for a member to post a pic they have to upload it but we can't force a member to copy images from a link and then post them here.

A perfect example would be something like this: A member has a question about an item on ebay, so they post the link and a through discussion of said item occurs, where everyone learns something.

Then, 30 or 60 days after the auction ends, ebay pulls the auction down (as is their policy) and now the thread here is utterly useless.

What the member should have done is copy all the data and images from the ebay auction and post them here. But like I said, there is no way for us to automate this.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Makes sence, thanks for that.

But consider this when a pic is hot linked from another source it takes less bandwidth to display the pic than if it were uploaded to this site would it not ?

IE fewer resources drained on the steel soldier’s website.

And it may be a slight annoyance but if the pic is deleted from its source all you see generally is a red X where the pic URL was at.

Something to think about maybe.
There are some other issues I forgot, along with more discussion:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ss-mai...ates-suggestions/25565-embeding-pictures.html

Another thread, mostly unrelated except for this post:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/126805-post20.html

A thread which specifically covers this topic, including a discussion of bandwidth:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum-news/9670-attention-img-tags.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks