• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M-35a1 sagga still continues

wdwjr

Hey ya all i am still at my M35A1 restore and now its time for the cab to come off only problem is the steering column, hard to belive!!! Any way i can not find out how to remove the steering box and column in any tech manual i have , seems the steering box hits the fuel injector pump and thats as far as the progress goes. I tried looking at it by army simple and jacking the engine up 4 inches does not help either only gives ya alittle more false hope. Could someone please send me in the right direction with the correct TM to look for or give me insight to pulling the seering box and column with the engine still in the truck.
Thanks
David

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just pull the column from the box, after the cab is off put it back. Make sure you do not lose the shims. If no bed is there, you could pull the steering wheel and lift the cab up and to the rear.

wdwjr

Yes that would be a choice but i know with working on chevys there is ball bearings in the worm gear is that the same in these trucks and if so how would i put them back in???? I have had the outer shaft sleave off and noticed a steel clamp ring at the base of the steering shaft does this have to come off? Is the steering shaft end insearted into a pilot bearing thus removing the need for worm gear bearings? Then what about the timing of the steering? I know too many questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way steering wheel has been removed. Bed still on truck cab is stripped except cab mounting bolts to frame and rear shock plate assembly.

Barrman

I pulled my cab off with the column on. Below is a picture. It was a real pain trying to go up and back with a hoist that didn't have front castering wheels. I did it however. It goes a lot higher than you think to clear the column.

I pulled my steering box to put the painted cab back on. Much easier. With the Gasser engine, that is easy. Not really an option with a multifuel.

Having an overhead lifting source or gantry crane will make it so the cab can be lifted, tilted and the truck rolled out from under it.

Do it anyway you are comfortable with.

Attachments

wdwjr

To all who read this i found the proceedure in TM-9-2320-209-20 Section XXXIII Steering systems Page 295.
I don't know if it will work i have not tried it yet but i will let all know in the next few weeks.
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks