• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillespie paint retail locations in or around Michigan

ida34

Anyone know of a place to get the gillespie paint from retail stores in and around MI to avoid the shipping and haz mat charges? I figure on getting 3 gallons of Carc Green and one gallon of red oxide to start. Knock off all the surface rust and prep with the red oxide then coat it with the Green. Later I will fill in the black and brown. I figure two gallons of each. Can anyone confirm that this is enough to do an M35a2 in the Nato 3 color summer forest pattern. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

Miltrucks

Chuck - I have never been able to find a source here in Ohio. Found one place that said they could order it in for me but was extra $$$.

Best source I have found is Rapco out of Texas. If you find something more local - let me know.

As for amount, to do a vehicle like a M35, I normally go through about 4 gallons, a gal of mineral spirits, and a case (12 cans) of spray for those little things. That seems to do pretty good with coverage (I do the frames, axles, and other pieces some too). If you want to prep with RO first, would get extra on top of that.

Hope that helps. BTW - your housing is on it's way out to you!

Thanks,

Eric. (aka Miltrucks)

ida34

I am leaning toward Rapco but I really want to pick up a gallon or two at a time. With them it is clear I need to get all at once to avoid paying a lot in Haz-mat Fees. I plan to just spot up the rust areas with the primer after cleaning them up so I don't think I will have to get to much primer. I think I will get 4 gallons of green then 2 gallons of brown and black to do the camo. I will try to get the red oxide locally. Thanks for the update on the housing. I am working on another project and probably will not get to working on the Deuce until it gets warmer.

M215

Rapco

Just ordered paint today from Rapco! Try their on line ordering at www.rapcoparts.com. From what I understand from past conversations with Mark at Rapco, they are the manufacturer of Gillespie paint. The last two M35s I painted used 10-12 gallons (2-3 primer / 8-10 paint), but that was top to bottom and under side also. If you purchase direct from Rapco, you will get fresh product. Try Rustolem rusty metal primer from Home depot (approx. $20 gal). Thin it with acetone, works great!
Good luck!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tip: Use Gillespie for the 383 base coat, and if you are indeed doing the 3-color MERDEC camo pattern, put the brown and black on using Behr exterior stain from Home Despot. (pun intended)

The Russet Brown and Ebony Black are perfect matches, tougher than hell, and thin with H2O.

So what if it will pass water? It is sealed with the green synthetic enamel over the primer anyway. I have a yard truck painted 10 years ago with it and it still looks good.

dg

ida34

I used the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer on an old farm fuel tank that I had and it worked great. I then put rustoleum white over it so that it will not get as warm in the summer. It worked great. I plan on using POR on the bed which has no holes but has no paint and alot of surface rust. I will roller it on. When I start the project I will post pics. Thanks for all the input.

Chuck

BKinzey

Rapco is a distributor. Gillespie Coatings Inc, GCI, out of Longview, TX makes the paint.

Haz-Mat is $28 ($21?) and I know you can get at least 4 gallons for that. If it's in spray cans or quarts there is no Haz-Mat fee.

Armada

Can't wait to see the finished product, Chuck. I've always gotten my Gillespie paint from AJP. Here is their costs. http://www.armyjeepparts.com/ Maybe I should shop around..... They will be at Aberdeen in May. If someone from around here is heading out to it, they might be able to pick up the paint for you and save the hazmat charges. I might be going.
Good luck with the project!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks