• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton MPG

m.walker

I've got an M52 gasser that gets 5 to 6 MPG bobtailing and 3 MPG pulling my trailer . What kind of mileage are you other 5 tonners getting (gas or diesel )? What about ways of improving mileage ? Alternative fuels for gassers ? Any power upgrade tips or tricks ? Will a stack make it run better or worse than the muffler and bottom exhaust ? OK time to fork over all the little secrets you have kept hidden away !

m3a1_ht

2 - 2 1/2 mpg in a gas M62. I lose a bt when pulling a trailer. Unfortunately - I don't have any secrets to improving upon it - other than paying particular attention to the ignition system.

Dan

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my m52 got about 6 bobtailing, my 819 gets about 6 on the highway and about 4 aroune town

Knucklehead

My M51A1 gets 11-12 mpg. But I removed the inter axle drive shaft and cut the axle shafts off of the flanges, so the rear rear axle is basically a tag. The truck is road driven 95% of the time. It takes me 20 min. to put it back together of I go off road.

Towman2277

My 1960 M-139 5-ton bride truck with the gasser R-6602 and 14:00-20's get 2.5 MPG....and I still drive it everywhere!!!! People move out my way in Walmart's Parking Lot! hee..hee..hee....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
My M62 wrecker gets between 2 and 2.5 MPG depending on terrain and towed load. My dad's M328 bridge transporter gets only slightly better, probably because it is only slightly lighter. As a side note, the M62 will hit about 52 MPH with no load and plenty of acceleration room, but at about 1300 RPM and proper gear selection, will move most anything!

David Doyle
West Tennessee

MotorTMan

My M54A2 gets a pitiful 6 or so, and ironically the much larger Cummins gets about the same in my M813, maybe a little better. The 813 runs at much lower RPMs most of the time, which could be the major factor. But, you still cant beat the sound of that whistler, plus the smoke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks