• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biodiesel Sample Picture

mattgw86

Some of those look really strange. I test Biodiesel almost every day and have never seen any that looks like some of those. The palm oil one looks really nasty, almost like it has water in it. I'd like to get ahold of some of those to see how they compare to the stuff I'm used to.

Cantrade

All they are illustrating with this picture is the colors produced by different feed-stocks. Rapeseed will produce different colors than WVO or soy. Those guys at Utah Biodiesel Supply know what they are doing.

The main thing to consider when using BD is whether the seals in the injection system and fuel transport lines can withstand the corrosiveness of BD. My 1800D Ford tractor lost all of the recirculation hoses when I used BD. Most post 1996 vintage pumps have tough seals that can withstand BD. Viton is the material of choice for gaskets and seals.

I would be interested to hear if any owners of MVs have experience/problems using BD in their systems.

mangus580

Some of those look really strange. I test Biodiesel almost every day and have never seen any that looks like some of those. The palm oil one looks really nasty, almost like it has water in it. I'd like to get ahold of some of those to see how they compare to the stuff I'm used to.
Matt, I would be interested in your testing experience. I just started working at a Bio plant last week, and might be handy to know how you do things.

All they are illustrating with this picture is the colors produced by different feed-stocks. Rapeseed will produce different colors than WVO or soy. Those guys at Utah Biodiesel Supply know what they are doing.

The main thing to consider when using BD is whether the seals in the injection system and fuel transport lines can withstand the corrosiveness of BD. My 1800D Ford tractor lost all of the recirculation hoses when I used BD. Most post 1996 vintage pumps have tough seals that can withstand BD. Viton is the material of choice for gaskets and seals.

I would be interested to hear if any owners of MVs have experience/problems using BD in their systems.
Cantrade, I ran bio in my 1009 (and the wifes Burb) from april until about mid november. I also have it in the deuce right now (although havent driven it much at all). I have had no ill effects other than a slight gelling issue....

Cantrade

Mike,

I have used BD since 2005. I have put it in 3 Cummins Dodges, a Jeep Liberty and a Ford tractor. With the tractor I found that it took about 6-7 months for any problems with hoses to set in.

Also, with the wife's Jeep Liberty I found that if I blended greater than B40 the fuel pump would lose prime after shutting down the engine for about 1/2 hour. Fortunately, that pump has a manual pump built-in and you just have to go under the hood and pump it a few times to reprime it. (Imagine trying to explain that to the wife when she called to report that the engine would not start!). We found if we stayed to B20 - B30 then there is no problem and that is what we still are doing. It must be a viscosity related thing and the check valve in the pump must bleed off if the fuel is too thin. Not knowing anything about fuel injection pumps, that is my knee-jerk explanation of the problem.

I have a friend who converted his commercial van to WVO and it worked well until the winter when the fuel lines would clog up. It may have been a installation design error with not enough insulation, etc., but it became a real problem and I think for the winter months he stays with petro-diesel.

BTW, BD gels around 40 degrees. I add AMSOIL Cold Flow additive to bring it down about another 20 degrees. Have never had a gel related problem that I know of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks