• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck armor info...

Yohan

What have you guys used, or what would anyone suggest be used, as the "armor" on an M35A2 gun truck I'm planning on building? One suggestion in an old MV magazine I have is Masonite reiforced with ripped 2x4's. This is more like "Hollywood Armor". The weight savings over steel would be nice, but it wouldn't look very authentic under close scrutiny. Has anyone used 1/8" steel plate? I'm leaning towards using steel plate, but don't plan on it being "bullet proof", so lighter is better. Then I have to consider mounting three M2HB's, one on each of three sides. Were bulk-head pintle mounts used or pedestal mounts? I'm guessing anything that could be made to work...

Also, has anyone built one in such a way that the armor can be removed or is it a "permenant" weld or tac-weld job?

Next Q: How would one hang the armor on the driver and passenger doors? On the real deals in Viet Nam, did the doors actually open after armor was attached or did the driver climb over the back of the cab and bed?

I guess I'm thinking out loud, but any info would really be appreciated!

John

Nonotagain

If you use 22 gauge steel sheet it can be formed using a aluminum sheet metal brake. You can wrap 3/8" plywood to make it look as if the metal was a solid sheet.

Driver523

Yohan, The doors still opened, and I think a box could be built that with a lift could be taken out, and all radio stuff unpluged----The thinest I have seen in sheet steel is 1/4" and you must brace it big time against all the flex from road conditions, Most the outside door armor on the replicas can be removed for getting down the road and is aluminum as with the windshield armor with the vision blocks, just kinda made to look real but lays down for the road---------Driver

Yohan

Thank you for all the ideas. I like the idea of aluminum and building a box that can be lifted out. The article I have suggests using U-bolts to hang the armor so it can be removed. I guess I have to plan on either plates or a box. Lots of research left to do... Thanks again all!

jatonka

Aces & Eights is 1/4 inch steel on all of it. mounted 2 30 cal guns on bulkhead pintles and the 50 cal on a pedestal. now have 2 swing mounts for 2 more 30s. One of these swing mounts is said to have come off "Eve of Destruction", I don't know this is fact but it is what the seller told me. If true, I am extremely proud to have it, now I just need 2 M60s to finish it out for the gathering at Carlisle, PA summer of 2010. JT out

Yohan,

I have several books on Guntrucks... the one from Squadron/Signal along with the two by James Lyles. If there's anything I may be able to do send me a PM

Yohan

Thanks gents! I found this link in a search. Dave Coward is someone I consider a friend and was in on the truck planning and build... MTA Gun Truck Restoration

I looked for the Hard Ride (or Road) at B & IGnoble's, but got the name wrong and she couldn't find it. I have to gather some more intel for sure. I called on some steel plate tonight and will have a price in the am. baby steps...

Trackiron

I used 3/16" A36 plate - cut it all on a plasmaCAM 5'x10' system. Any thinner than that and I knew couldn't make it 'look' like AR plate. I used a 1" square tube frame and used 22 ga in the inside to cover it. Heavy but what does a duece care!! Aluminum would be better but costs more up front. Get a spool gun for that much aluminum welding if ya go that route. Good luck and - Post some pics.

Driver523

You know the Wrench huh??----small world isn't it?---Dave is a great guy and a Friend-----Try this addy for a book---This is James Lyles addy Author of The Hard Ride and when ya email him tell him Driver said hey---he has Vol. I I belive----- LYLES289HP@AOL.COM ------------------------------Driver

Yohan

Driver, Thanks for the link. I emailed him. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave at the WW& Track show a couple years ago. He gave me my first Vietnamese beer! He also gave my son and I our first (and to date) only tour of a Gun Truck. He looked for us at start of the parade so my son could ride along, but he couldn't find us!

Trackiron, I never considered building a frame for the steel as a way of bracing it. My brother in law is a welder/fabricator at a large heavy equipment dealer. They have a burn table and every other thing I don't know how to use... but he does!

I'd love to have it show ready by this summer, but so many factors involved (time & money!). Thanks for the help everyone!

John

m151dave

Gun Truck Armor

Here is a link for a recent truck build in Kansas. Truck name is Business as Usual.

The link chronicles the build, via photographs, from buying the steel to finish paint.

vietnam guntrucks - Kansas Gun Truck Project

It shows details for fabricated gun mounts as well as radio installation etc....

Hope this might be of some help to you.

Dave B.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if you dont need to weld all of it & need to remove it later I would use 3/8 Poliy carb & paint it cut with saw will look real but light.
When we UP armor M1070 Het in 2004 we used 10mm ar400 b plate & bolted to the door's with spacers & renforce plate on soft shell side.
some of where welded on My own I found some Titanum Plate 3/8 thick & used it under 10mm Ar 400 plate between soft shell also used bol blanket in side cab.
I still alive because if it when IED on clover leaf heading north on Tampa.

m816

Okay Yohan, Here is the skinny on how the Jersey crew put the armour on Satans lil Angel. We decided on 5/16 plate steel. original steel used in country was hardend 3/8 steel. We used the 5/16 th because of weight concerns and available funds at the time. and the Guy at the yard where we bught it convinced us that since it was so close , no one would notice the 1/16 th diverence. It does not wobble, holds its place well and hasn't busted any welds. Keep in mind, that there was a lot of vibration in those trucks and that includes the other equipment in the trucks. Some had an additional layer on the bed itself. We decided against that. We used two pieces 12 ft long and 4 ft high and added a 2ftX4ft to each end to make up the 14ft length then We used two cieces 4X 8 ft to close in the box. These had to be trimed somewhat to get a tight fit and then it was all welded to the insides of the bed. We used an angle grinder witha cut off wheel to score the sides to give the appearance of 3X4ft panels and then we drilled the "edges witha 1/2 drill and dounter bored the edges to mimic the " kits" that they were made from. The result was pleasing to everyone who has looked it over. It also saved a lot of time i the fabrication. Lt kept us very faithful to all the pictures and information gleaned from the original crew who advised us as we progressed it the build. Driver was a great mentor as well. Hope that helps ya. If ya need any more info as far as the guns and radios just ask the Wrench or Edd or Lt.

Driver523

Yohan---First off if your going to build a replica (cost no more) pick a truck, pick one with guns you can afford or want, pick one thats in a time frame----early or later----pick some graphics you like and pick equipment that you may or may not want to mess with--Radios and such, for instance, early trucks may have only had single walled armor hung more or less on the side racks, with no front armor, no radios, and hand held weapons---then they progress from there, if you decide to build a truck that had the gun ports and all those holes around the edge I have every measurment, probably every bit of info you need to get er done, along with photos the way the Ace and Widow where built along with some of angels build---best advise I could give you right now is "research" just find a truck you like with all the stuff you want---we may even find you some crew that was on it----you still have my number and email, and I do check in here everyday---anything I can help with just let me know---------------Driver

Yohan

Hey thanks, guys! I haven't been to this thread in a while. In the interim of actually building a gun truck... (all I have is an M35 at this point and no $$ to start a project like this yet)... I painted her up solid green (not the correct green, but all I had) and some stars on the doors. I fastned Old Glory to the right front bed (I know, falg etiquet says rt. front bumper) and POW/MIA flag on the left front bed, then I threw my crew (my four kids and two of their cousins) in the back and drobve it in the local parade earlier this month. Wouldn't you know it, my mother in law's camera batteries died when we got to where the family was sitting!!! aua

THE BEST PART OF THE STORY: A man came running up to my truck and climbed on the running board. He had a Viet Nam Veteran hat on and promptly yelled out his unit and the date he served in Viet Nam. I told him about my uncle was in the "Leaning Sh*thouse". He paused and said, "The First Log?" Yeah!!! He said he couldn't count the miles he logged in one of those trucks overseas. Anyway, he just moved into the area and said he would look me up. I don't know who he is or where he's at, but when my insurance and tags come in, I will be cruising my town, hoping he comes out of hiding. :driver:

Thanks to all of you for the great info and time you took to respond. Driver, hang in there until I make the big time! Then you'll regret you have a phone!!! My step-dad managed to get a couple pics after the parade, so I'll try to post them... So I posted them. I know the stencil size and font are not correct, but I did it in a hurry to dress it up. If the vet who climbed aboard appreciated it, then it was worth it no matter how bad the recreation!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks