• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 front-end not pulling in reverse???????

byrd

front wheels wont pull in reverse is that common on a m211?? it has a single speed tranfercase. any info would be helpful.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The G749 trucks use a sprag-type coupling much the same as the early Reo G742.

The unit is told which direction to turn via a rod from the automatic transmission selector. It may be out of adjustment, stuck, or the sprag itself bad.

dg

byrd

THANKS G744 -I checked the linkage from the trans to the transfer and im pretty sure it is working correctly. How could i check the sprag or well for that matter where is it? Thanks, G744 again for that information

rizzo

In the 5 ton t case there are 2 sprags. One for forward. One for reverse. the trans should tell the t-case which sprag to use.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not the same as the 5-ton or the 2.5 ton Reo.

The 5-ton shifts the transfer with air.

The Reo used both a mechanical linkage for the sprags, or positive lock with an air piston and no sprags.

The GMC does, however, have the sprags in the transfer like all the others.

Rather than a solid poppet rod coming out of the transmission, it uses a smaller connecting rod much like a throttle linkage from the 8-speed automatic selector to bias the sliding clutch in the transfer from fore to aft, selecting which rotation the sprag will engage upon wheel slip.

A simple test is to jack up one side of the front axle and rotate the wheel & tire whilst the transmission is in gear (engine off).

If it will go one way and not the other, things are OK so far. If it turns freely, look to see if the drive shaft is turning...if not, the differental gears or axle shaft is suspect. If the shaft is turning simutaneously, then the problem is in the transfer or the adjustment of the signal rod going into it.

Repeat this proceedure with the trans in reverse. The tire should rotate only in one direction, although the reverse of the last check.

dg

byrd

thanks again G744, thank you rizzo also. Iwill check that in the morning . thanks again!

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G744 has the test right on, jack it up and turn the wheels. Only difference is that the GMC does not use an over-run clutch (sprag or roller), it has a dog clutch, which almost never gives any trouble (unlike the clutch in the M-35s) other than adjustment. The adjustment is REALLY critical. But once set properly as close to trouble free as it gets.

byrd

Thanks, Squirt-Truck for the help I did as G744 said and they turned together(shaft and wheel).Is it hard to get the adjustment correct? The frontend works fine in foward just not in reverse . I would like to get that fixed if someone could share some more knowledge with me. THANKS, Squirt-Truck and G744 for the help so far!

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try to detail the test and adjustment (please excuse the errors it has been 20+ years since I did this last...)
Place truck on a reasonably level place, chock rears.
Engine should not be running for this test.
Jack up a front wheel, stay clear just in case there is some wind-up in the driveline.
With transmission selector in forward position (level, hilly, high or low, does not matter) turn front wheel. With transmission in ANY forward position, tire should rotate freely forward but lock going backward.
Repeat with transmission selector in high or low reverse, wheel should rotate backward but lock going forward.
Now the memory part............
Best I recall, the transfer front drive selector is pulled by the shift selector bell crank. It has a clevice and pin end attachment. Rmove the pin, free the jam nut and adjust the rod to a shorter length. (Please not that this may be reversed and need to lengthen...) With the shift rod freed, and the wheel still jacked up, verification of operation of the drive clutch is easy, just move it from front to rear and confirm engagement. (BE SURE APPROPRATE SUPPORT IS UNDER THE FRONT AXLE). Final adjustment is to split the distance the selsctor rod moves from the center position and engages with the selsctor shaft in the transfer. Be sure all shifter pins are in place and not excessively worn.

Good luck, let us know.

byrd

Thanks alot I will give it a try ,I will let you know how it works. Thanks again Squirt-Truck!

byrd

I was going to work on the m211 today and was wondering if anyone might have a picture or a illustrated photo of the shifting linkages that might help me ? thanks , Byrd

John.Westlock

I have had the same problem with my 54 XM215. Another problem is that I had to warm it up and go backwards and forwards to get it to go into low. It also comes out of low some times. I know I should fix it but haven't figured out what it is exactly and how to fix it. There is linkage from the transmission to the carburetor. As I changed the head gasket I think the linkage rod might have been tweaked just enough to mess up the adjustment- readjusting this might fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.

byrd

I got it working it took a little time but its fixed. thanks to all that helped !!! BYRD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks