• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL tax question

a68cudas

When you bid on GL vehicles and you are the winning bidder like in Pa. Do you have to pay tax from PA where the vehicle is at :?: or do you pay tax in the state in which you live Ohio when you get the vehicle titled :?: or both :?: Thanks If you pay by credit card does the tax automatically get included along with auction price, GL 10% ? Or do you get billed once you get the sf97 and does it get billed onto your credit card? I Called the DMV here in ohio and to get a vehicle titled here all you do is drive it to License Bur. and they check and write down vin and mileage and you have to pay sales tax in cash to get titled. If you do have to pay tax in state that you won auction is there any way to get it waived etc or not and do you have to pay sales tax in cash like when getting it titled? Im a lil confused on that part. Can anyone enlighten me ?????

Last edited:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you bought anything from GA, you pay them 7% + The tax in the state you live also.
So...10% + 7% + Maryland(6%) = 23% TAX!...No questions, I tried expalining it to Maryland and to GL, But got no where..Best of luck. People dont know until after they buy it./.
Kevin..

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you're in Ohio, it'll be both for you.

You'll pay the sales tax in the state in which the vehicle sits. (for me it was Wisconsin). Then when you go to title the vehicle, if the sales tax rate was not as high as the rate for Ohio, you'll have to pay the difference.

If I remember correctly, the WI sales tax was 5.5 or 6%, my county is 6.75% in Ohio, so I had to make up the difference in what was on my paperwork (SF97) and what the Ohio sales tax was for the amount of the truck.

a68cudas

Where the vehicle is.

when i called Ohio BMV they said i would have to pay sales tax upon titling vehicle with them? That would mean you pay double sales tax on it if you have to pay the state in which the vehicle is at and also with BMV where you live and get titled?????

a68cudas

you're in Ohio, it'll be both for you.

You'll pay the sales tax in the state in which the vehicle sits. (for me it was Wisconsin). Then when you go to title the vehicle, if the sales tax rate was not as high as the rate for Ohio, you'll have to pay the difference.

If I remember correctly, the WI sales tax was 5.5 or 6%, my county is 6.75% in Ohio, so I had to make up the difference in what was on my paperwork (SF97) and what the Ohio sales tax was for the amount of the truck.
Ok so basically i think pa is 6% and Trumbull Co Ohio is 6.5% so i would pa 6% and then when title here i pay the difference of .5 %

when do you get billed the sales tax for the auction ? before the sf97 form and do they tag that on your credit card bill along with purchase price and GL 10% ???

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you pay the 10% buyers premium and the PA sales tax of 6% with your invoice...a few days after the sale.

Pay the money for the SF97 and wait for it to come back...make sure to take your SF97 and Bill of sale with you to the BMV...one of them will show the sales tax you paid. Then the BMV SHOULD calculate the difference and you pay the other 0.5%

Notice I have SHOULD calculate the difference not that they will. It's quite possible you could get someone having a bad day and they might want you to pay the full 6.5% all over again. Hopefully GL will send you a FL title and this will make things easier on you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....when do you get billed the sales tax for the auction ? before the sf97 form and do they tag that on your credit card bill along with purchase price and GL 10% ???
You get billed for the Sales Price, 10% fee and State Sales Tax when you win the vehicle. They put it on the credit card you used to bid unless you make other arrangements with GL in advance.

Then you wait for your EUC to clear (if required). Anywhere from 5 days to 3 months. You can then pickup the vehicle. :evil:

Then you pay GL another $60 for the SF-97 and wait an additional 30 days.:evil::evil::evil:

After you receive the SF-97 then you go to you tag agent and get your titlle (of course for the additional sales tax and title fee:cry:)

In Oklahoma, you have 30 days from the date of the SALE to register the vehicle. Then a $1 per day penilty kicks in. This adds up until the registration fee doubles.

By the time GL gets all the paperwork inorder the cost of titling the trucks has doubled.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The date of the sale is determined by the date GL transfers the title to you, not the date you won it (several months before). Deuce I won in April did not get the SF97 till the end of August. Bill of Sale to me gave the August date, and that is what the highway department in SC used. Of course, they did not ask for any other paperwork like the pickup documents we all use when dealing with GL at DRMO, mainly because they don't really care. It's that Bill of Sale that is notarized that they use because that is when 'title' has passed to you (at least in SC).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The date of the sale is determined by the date GL transfers the title to you, not the date you won it (several months before).
Out of the dozen or so trucks I have won from GL, the SF-97 has shown the winning date as the date of sale. Not when the SF-97 was issued. :cry: Maybe they just don't like me.

In OK the tax commision uses the sale date. I have shown them the Bill of Sale, the Dated USPS envelope, etc, all to no avail. They want the extra cash.

Plus they want the $3.50 per tire, Tire Recovery Fee.

I just hand them my wallet..........................LOL

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

Ohio should give you credit for the tax paid to PA. Then you only have to pay the difference. Had the same thing happen with IL using the the date that the truck was won and not the sf97 date, for plates.

VMI_Keydet_2010

When I bought my truck which came from the Mechanicsburg PA DRMO, I had to pay a "buyers premium" but no PA sales tax was listed on my invoice. However, anytime you register a vehicle, you have to pay sales tax on it for the state you register it in, I hope this helps. I can post a screen shot of my invoice if you like.

papercu

Ohio should give you credit for the tax paid to PA.
According to GA rules that is true ONLY if the two states have that agreement.
Whenever I buy a G/L vehicle from FL and apply for a GA title, they send the title then months later they will bill me. I then send them the proof I paid FL taxes and never hear any more about it. Wayne

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told by Gl that the sale tax is paid where you are but I have been charged everything from 2.5 to 7% for trucks I won in NC FL GA . and other places I just take the paper work to the tax office in Rome Ga I live in rockmart 20 miles away the tax offices put info
in the GA system if I owe more tax I pay it at the tax office the tax here is 7%. them go get tag at the tag office 20.00 dollars for one year.
AEC Retried Tony
2 M35A1
3 M35A2
1 M816
1 M1031
1 M1008
2 M1009
1 M561
5 105A2

a68cudas

Ohio should give you credit for the tax paid to PA. Then you only have to pay the difference. Had the same thing happen with IL using the the date that the truck was won and not the sf97 date, for plates.

so which should you use the date the truck was won or the sf97 date?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it doesn't matter what you want to use...the BMV is going to go by the date on the SF97 or FL title depending on which you get. In Ohio, you should get a Florida title, so doing the switch should be easy...but they are going to use whatever date is on the title, and I think I had to pay an extra fee because the date on the title was longer than 30 days till I was able to get the transfer done.

StreetbikeDepot

I love being a dealer......only costs me $16 to get a title from a SF97 nomatter what date is on it. As a dealer I don't have to pay taxes, no penalties and no waste tire fees. :-D

Plus I'm tax exempt on all my GL purchases in OK.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love being a dealer......only costs me $16 to get a title from a SF97 nomatter what date is on it. As a dealer I don't have to pay taxes, no penalties and no waste tire fees. :-D

Plus I'm tax exempt on all my GL purchases in OK.

:evil::evil::evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks