• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Closed

Barneyszoo

I saw in the local news paper the they were closeing some 4x4 routs in the Mojave nere Kern county due to budget cuts. Has anyone else seen this?

hole

That doesnt surprise me. Here locally , theres talk of closing some portions of the Angeles Nat Forest to off roading. Probably to save the endangered blue spotted tittsy mouse...

undysworld

4x4 routes seem endangered in many areas. We're all supposed to buy Toyota Prius's or something.

In upper Michigan, some Natl. Forests areas are completely off-limits, as the perimeter has been sold as private land.

Here in Wisconsin, well... fat lady sings fat lady sings fat lady sings

The choir says it's time to sell our trucks.

Say, whose country is this, and who's running it anyway???

mcmullag

closing areas and trails

Yeah this is a big deal with 4x4 groups and
the nationarl organization that also includes
ATV's and motorcycles.
I went to a local National Forest Service meeting on this 2 yrs ago. They had a national plan to go over all their maps and see which roads and trails they really wanted to keep open. BLM was involved too I believe. The new maps with just the roads they were going to keep open was to come out in late 2009 but I think the program stopped. I do not remember the details. We were gearing up for GPS'ing all the NFS roads in our state and handing the data over to them with pics and write ups of reasons to keep these open, like old mining sites up in the mountains. The alarm has somewhat gone away about that massive forest and BLM road closing deal but the national or international 4x4 association has lawyers constantly working against what some groups are always working on, turning more and more areas into wilderness areas. We have a few of those inside the National Forests in CO. You can only access them on foot, and maybe horse. Our military planes cannot even fly low over these backcountry areas. (local C-130 crew advised me of this) Here is our state 4x4 linke, may get you to some info on this, CoA4WDCi - 4WD Resource Links

mcmullag

Land Use

Land Use is probably the term to google on with your state name and maybe 4x4 to get info on roads and trails and areas being considered for closure. Would definitely pertain to some in this hobby.

CA info California Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.

FL info Florida 4 Wheel Drive Association

CO land use info

CoA4WDCi - Lost Mileage

I just put this info out there for help. I found my 4x4 club by the internet when I moved out here, we do stuff to help the community and they love the deuce. May be a path for many of us to be informed and keep areas of the outdoors open to the public.

mckeeranger

I've been on all sides of the off-roading issue. I've driven 4x4s, motorcycles, and yes an MV, off road. I've also been a land manager as well as a land owner.

I'm not going to point at any one group of off-roaders, I'm just going to say that off-roaders, as a whole, are our own worst enemy. As long as rules like "stay on the trail/road" "keep out" "no trespassing" and "foot travel only" don't apply to us, we will continue to provide everything "they" need to shut us down and kick us out. This problem would be correctable, but I don't know that it ever will be.

Another major problem is one of numbers. When I started riding dirt bikes as a teen, the trails we used might see a dozen or so motorcycles a month. By the time I gave it up to do other things, in my late twenties, they might see a couple dozen a weekend, and maybe a few 3 and 4 wheelers. Eventually, those same trails were seeing a few hundred a weekend. Now they are all closed.

Then there is the problem of voice.

I attended several "Limits of Acceptable Change" meetings for the Daniel Boone National Forest. There were a lot of representatives from several different groups at these public meetings. There were horseback riders, hikers, backpackers, environmentalists, forestry professionals and volunteer trail workers. If there were off-roaders there, I never saw them. These meetings are public. Anyone can attend, and anyone can voice their opinion, as long as they are civil about it.

As you can see, I don't have any answers. Like others, I just point out the problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks