• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need an SF97?

bigswin

After 70 days I finally got a paid in full invoice. Now they are telling me I have to wait at least 30 days for this SF 97. I live in Indiana which is a NO TITLE state, meaning I don't need a title to sell a vehicle. All that is required is a bill of sale. So, my question is can I take my receipt paperwork to the DMV and get a plate for it. My other option is to sell this thing immediately. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jimm1009

I was born and raised in Indiana but moved away in 1988 so things may have changed but this is the first that I have heard of not needing a title.
My '46 jeep is still titled there and I had to have a title to register it but that was done in 1986 or 87.
The draw back to a sale from someone other than another Hoosier is that almost all states do require a title.
In order to generate the first one there is either a certificate of origin (for brand new vehicle) or a title from Indiana or another state.
If you sell it to someone outside of Hoosier Land they will need a title to get the paperwork complete in their state.
If you have an SF-97 you can prove down the road that the truck was legally purchased from Uncle Sam and then give it to the next owner if it is not needed for the first title.
Most states need the SF-97 in order to generate the first civilian title and they will keep it to start their file on the OMV so make a color copy of two of it before you turn it in. I would call the local license branch and get first hand answers to help keep the possible head aches down.
I sold a truck before the SF-97 was delivered to me but I signed a notorized letter that I would supply it in a timely manner unless Uncles Sam royally screwed up just to keep myslef protected since that DOES happen from time to time.
I'm sure that others will chime in too.
Good luck.
jimm1009 (formerly of Johnson County) :-D

Last edited:

The PIG Smith

I live in Indiana which is a NO TITLE state, meaning I don't need a title to sell a vehicle. All that is required is a bill of sale.
Greetings!
I am sorry that I am not able to offer you an answer to your question.
However, I do live in Indiana and have never heard of this No title Rule.

I have struggled several times with Jeeps that have had no titles.
A Bill of Sale was not good enough.
Lucky, the seller of my J20 was able to get an replacement title from VA after he lost it.

Next time, I had a friend in MI that was able to work some magic to get a MI title for a Jeep I had stored for many years because a no title issue.
(Do not ask what he did, for I do not know, nor do I wanna know)

Last, I owned a '73 Nova that the Title owner passed on and also the Executor of his Estate.
I never was able to get a title for that car, for it was stolen before I was able to complete that trek.

The amount of pain I have suffered because of a great vehicle, excellent price, but no title is indescribable.
I am seeking an education about how just having a Bill of Sale in hand will get me a Title and Tags.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In TX the SF97 has to be processed by the person who purchased it through the government (I know because I sold a 1009 with SF97 only and had to go back and title it for the new owner) so even if some states such as AL don't require a title for vehicles over a certain age if it were to be sold elsewhere it probably would. I have no idea what the rules are in Indiana but would agree you need to check with your local DMV.

bigswin

If i sold it someone else, it would be someone locally. I'll check with the DMV and see what they have to say. It just sucks that after waiting 70 days to get the truck I now have to wait longer just to be able to drive it. GRRR.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If i sold it someone else, it would be someone locally. I'll check with the DMV and see what they have to say. It just sucks that after waiting 70 days to get the truck I now have to wait longer just to be able to drive it. GRRR.

Maybe next time, buy from a dealer or reseller that has spent the time and money to get the truck ready and do all the waiting. Be sure to follow the contract you agreed to (when you bid), and tell the next owner also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks