• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 series intake mods

NEIOWA

Assuming goal is to improve the breathing (performance +) of an M813 series and to eliminate the fender mounted air filter assembly, what advice or parts might be recommended.

DrFoster

I think we talked about this before, but I'll repost, since I hate the search flamers!

The filter flows 13-1400 cfm. The engine only needed like (I can't remember exactly, I did the math 'tho) something like 300-800 cfm at full bore depending on the boost. I guess that would mean that you don't really need a better flowing filter it is just that big to be able to pick up a lot of filtered media without clogging.

NEIOWA

Is there a filter assembly (K&N etc) that will fit the existing M813 intake system and fit under the hood (trash the fender mounted unit)?

DrFoster

If you're gonna go street only, hit a truck salvage yard and pick up a filter housing there. Wallew has a lline on the proper filter to buy from k&n.

The under hood housings will net a slightly higher intake temp (decreased power levels), but will be a tad quiter because they muffle the intake noise a bit more. I think it would end up being an expense that would not have many good results, except for a blank fender... You could plumb the intake to the old fender hole for cool air to fix the intake temp, I don't know...

There are serious problems with k&n filters. They are designed for racing and flowing at the max cfm rate, and that is something the deuce motor will never do to this filter. The media actually filters LESS until it gets dirty, then it clogs faster than a paper filter because of the oiled fabric. In the mean time, you've sucked an unusualy large amount of dust into the motor, until it clogs and begins filtering out smaller particles.

There's been a heated discussion with this in the past too. The simple facts for a k&n was that:

1. It did flow more when new, with the trade off being less filtering ability
2. The engine would not see any gains; both filters flow more than the engine can suck
3. It flows equal or less when dirty compared to a paper filter
4. Cost is almost identical, however nets you less protection, and same flow rates
5. It's best used on a vehicle that has an insufficient filter FLOW but not for times when you'll need filtering ability.

Now I've opened the K&N vs. paper war again. I'm only putting facts here, so you guys don't start up!

If you don't mind, let me ask - Why? I'm not trying to be an asshole, but sometimes when I re-read these posts, they look that way, so let me get that out of the way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on an 800 series , where is the room under the hood for a big a$$ filter

chief76433

The reason I was wanting to change the filter was because of the size.I don't want it to get torn off in the brush.I also like the look of a clean fender.For now I guess it will ride on the fender.Thanks for the info.

chief76433

We don't have any 100 year old oak trees but we have some pretty good size mesquite trees.I hope the tires are as tough as the rest of the truck.Mesquites have big thorns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks