• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting Biodiesel news report from NY

greenjeepster

Every gallon on biodiesel made in somebodies garage is 18 cents out of the feds pocket.. I for see a time in the very near future where it will become very hard to acquire used cooking oil because of new regulations.

The ethanol found is interesting. I wonder if it was distilled on site. That will fall under federal jurisdiction and somebody will be made and example of.

stumps

It will play out about like you think it will.

The US Government's official policy is the country desperately needs to explore alternative sources of energy and fuel, but they don't mean you and me. They mean corporate America.

Only corporations are "allowed" to do the explorations that result in new products and new sources of money. Once we come home from our corporate jobs, we are consumers, and are expected to buy everything we need from corporations. When we strike out on our own, and try and be self sufficient within our neighborhoods, we will always be struck down for the common good.

...and to a certain degree, that makes sense, having a bio-fuel operation of that size, in a garage, in a residential neighborhood, infringes on the safety and quality of life of every other person in that neighborhood. I think we can be pretty certain that the guy doing this isn't following most of the safety rules that a corporation would have to follow.... something amply demonstrated by the large fuel spill, that brought attention to the operation.

It's hard to say what the balance between your personal liberties, and the rights of your neighbors should be.

And before you jump on me for saying that, think for a minute how you would feel if you lived in a small suburban neighborhood, and your next door neighbor thought it might be profitable for him to move 3 dozen pigs into his backyard and start a small pig farm. Pig smell and noise doesn't bother you? That's OK because your other neighbor decided to open an all night Hip-Hop club and speakeasy...

"Bump-da-bump-da-bump-wicca-wicca-wicca Oink! Oink! Squeee! Soo-eee! Soo-eee! Snort! Snort! Bump-da...."

-Chuck

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

As I see it if you don't tell then it's not likely to be an issue . The burger guy would much rather give or sell the waste oil away than pay to have it removed .... If you want to mess up a good thing then start talking about it .. Sure as the sunrise you will have every one around you tring to screw it up for you ..Its only a good thing if it works for you ,so if it does then use it to your best ability and help out who you want to. Don't post signs on the interstate about how well it works, that's when you open up a can of worms you don't want too .......;-)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i read E22s link, on that page there was 3 adds by google for BIO KITS, sorta makes you wonder , i love it when a plan comes together

greenjeepster

i read E22s link, on that page there was 3 adds by google for BIO KITS, sorta makes you wonder , i love it when a plan comes together
That is Google Adware. It sends what are called spiders out onto web pages... they "read" the content of the page and place ads on it according to what it thinks people reading that page will be interested in.... It is how many websites make money.... I used it when I had my business and it is cheap and easy way to get your business all over the internet in a hurry. You pay per click on the ads. I could advertise on hundreds of web sites with content related to my business.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take from the article is that they just found the guy making the stuff in a residential area. Ok, I can't manufacture automobiles on my farm either.

Now if he had been making Sarin gas or something they might have had a problem.

In this case they will probably find out there were code violations. If he were doing it and selling it then they will look for a business license and the property must be zoned business and the like.

The jury is still out on the fuel tax to Uncle Sam.

sw

stumps

most of us are not making thousands of gallons of fuel.
That's true, but unfortunately, the highly publicized outliers like this guy are going to get it regulated out of existence for the rest of us.

Look what has happened to the "value" of WVO. Apparently it got up to nearly $3 per gallon! Imagine! All because of a few entities messing around with biodiesel.

-Chuck

stumps

7 500 gallon tanks??? dozens of 55 gallon drums???

This is not your typical 'Home Brewer' of biodiesel!!
No, it's not. This is likely some guy that decided to capitalize on the high diesel prices and start selling on the black market.

However, when it hits the news, it is going to be some nut cake hobbyist that was brewing dangerous quantities of biodiesel... a heinous act that requires the immediate passage of numerous laws regulating all sorts of unrelated activities, and further assures that no citizen dares to make home brew ever again.

-Chuck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Holding that much raw material in a surban area is just plain dumb.

If there was a fire it would be very hot and hard to control in the confines of a typical suburban lot.

I use scrap WVO (what it too cruddy to put in the tank) to start fires with.

If you want a hot, fast fire, boost it with WVO...even wet wood will dry out fast and ignite.

People like that are the ones that screw it up for everybody.

I give this guy the "DUMASS OF THE DAY" award.

gunboy1656

I am surprised they didn't fine him with risking a catastrophe. If that would happen to go up that neighborhood would be in trouble.

By calculations, close to 5,000 gal of fuel. :shock:

stumps

I am surprised they didn't fine him with risking a catastrophe. If that would happen to go up that neighborhood would be in trouble.

By calculations, close to 5,000 gal of fuel. :shock:
They're not done with him yet. As I understand it charges are still being investigated.

-Chuck

jime

The spills are what's gonna get him. My friend has a tool and die shop WAAAAYYYYY back in the woods. The local fire department showed op for an inspection and found a pinhole leak in a small fuel oil tank. It didn't take long until an army of workers showed up with front end loaders and dump truck from a 'state contractor' 100 miles away. Not long after that a bill from the state EPA showed up for $17,000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks