• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference Between 5ton and 2.5ton Multifuel Engines?

M35A2

I have read with interest Cranetrucks reply in a previous post about the difference between the 5ton and 2.5ton multifuel engines.

Can anyone else elaborate on this. I have always thought that the 5ton and 2.5ton engines were the same. Are there any other differences apart from pistons, injectors and turbo? In what way are they different. Is the Turbo bigger? Does it still "whistle" like the 465-1C? Is the fuel consumption more? Are the injectors bigger, and if so is the fuel pump different? Is this engine a better bet to buy than a 2.5ton engine?

Does anyone know all the differences? There are 2 for sale in England, an M54 5ton Cargo and an M51 5ton Dumper. The answers here might help me to buy a 5ton. I was looking for a 2.5, but if the engine in the 5ton puts out more power, then that's only a good thing.

What is the extra weight of a 5ton compared to a 2.5???

I lookforward to your replys.

Andy

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5ton multifuel

Andy, if you can find a good LDS 465-1A and put it in a deuce it certainly would be a perfect combination!
If it whistles or not depends on the turbo model, I have had both. Fuel consumption, empty, is more or less the same.
You'll need the oil pickup tubes, bell housing, engine supports, SAE#2 to SAE#3 adapter ring and flywheel & clutch assy., all from a (any) deuce multifuel. It is easy to do the conversion of the engine. The resulting gain in Hp and torque is very noticeable and well worth the effort. (my own experience.)

Gerhard

M35A2

5ton multifuel

gringeltaube said:
Andy, if you can find a good LDS 465-1A and put it in a deuce it certainly would be a perfect combination!
If it whistles or not depends on the turbo model, I have had both. Fuel consumption, empty, is more or less the same.
You'll need the oil pickup tubes, bell housing, engine supports, SAE#2 to SAE#3 adapter ring and flywheel & clutch assy., all from a (any) deuce multifuel. It is easy to do the conversion of the engine. The resulting gain in Hp and torque is very noticeable and well worth the effort. (my own experience.)

Gerhard

Thanks for your reply Gerhard,

The trouble is, in this country, there aren't many engines going spare. Would you say the LDS-465-1A Engine would be more reliable and have a longer life, due to the fact it has oil nozzels that spray oil on the pistons to keep them cool? cooler engine=thicker oil=less friction=longer life?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5ton multifuel

All 465 multifuels are well built and reliable. It's just that the 5ton version gives you a "that little more pep" and a lot more fun to drive in a deuce, NOT SO in the much heavier 5ton truck!

Don't think that we have it easier in our country: The only 5tons that ever came to Uruguay were gassers, so if you want an LDS 465-1A engine (or any other multifuel) you have to import it and pay little under U$S 2000.- for taxes alone! :x

Would it cost you a fortune to import one from Reomie (just across the channel), if they have it?

M35A2

5ton multifuel

gringeltaube said:
All 465 multifuels are well built and reliable. It's just that the 5ton version gives you a "that little more pep" and a lot more fun to drive in a deuce, NOT SO in the much heavier 5ton truck!

Don't think that we have it easier in our country: The only 5tons that ever came to Uruguay were gassers, so if you want an LDS 465-1A engine (or any other multifuel) you have to import it and pay little under U$S 2000.- for taxes alone! :x

Would it cost you a fortune to import one from Reomie (just across the channel), if they have it?

Hi Gringeltaube

I'm not sure of the price of trucks from Reomie. I guess I am luckier than you in the respect that they are just over the water in Holland. They have a large stock of trucks, and I have emailed the owner in the past. The trouble is he just says to go over and have a look at what he has got. I don't fancy a big trip to Reomies yard, if all they have got is cr*p.

As far as importing goes, I'm going to have to look into it. When i was at Beltring last year at the "War and Peace show", there was a Dutch dealer selling a M54 cargo for £8,000. It is the dearest REO I've ever seen, but it was absolutely mint, in brand new condition. He would have sold it there and then, with all the paperwork.

I'm pretty sure you can register it in Holland on temporary plates, so that you can drive it back. Then all I have to do is re-register it over here.

It might be worth a trip over there to see what they have got.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks