• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

41 wc12 project

twistedjack

I recently took ownership of a 41 wc12. It has had a very ruff life so restoring it to orginal is out of the question. Too many parts are gone or broken. So the plan is to use the cab, hood, grill and start over with a new drivetrain and chassis. The cab and fenders are in very bad shape. Someone grafted a ford bed on and welded it to the running boards. So my plan is to rebuild the fenders,running boards out of round tube and sheet metal. Also I am going to build a new bed to try and match the orginal body lines and design. It will have a new frame, motor,transmission, transfercase, and axles put under it so I can drive at highway speeds. I know most of you are shouting at the monitor right about now but, restoring this to orginal is going to cost too much.

I am selling the complete drivetrain ( I have no idea what it is worth) motor runs but i need to rebuild the starter so it will start without being pulled.

This truck was owned by the county at sometime so it has orange paint over the orginal. Some how I need to remove that paint so I can recover the hood numbers.

I will see if I can get some pictures posted up this weekend.

waayfast

Welcome to the site and congrats on the truck.I fully understand about vehicles being "too far gone to restore ," heck, some can't even be recucitated(sp?) let alone be restored.At least you are offering parts for sale,rather than just taking them to the dump.
As far as recovering(uncovering?:grin:) hood numbers, I would suggest some 400 grit wet or dry (autobody) sand paper by HAND, with water and go slow and carefull.Others on here may have ideas also and will chime in.
I am in McCall-close enough that maybe I'll get to see you and your finished project!
Jim

41_greg

Parts

Hi, I seen your post and I'm new. I just picked up a 41 WC It's not stock so I thought I'd make it like a WC 41. I need a gas tank and the brackets. I'm in Olympia WA
Thanks
greg

belt-21

1941 Dodge WC-4

Does anyone know if any of the open cab WC's came with an all wood bed? I'm looking at a picture, of the MVPA convoy and it looks like the WC in front has an all wood bed. Picture is in the new Supply Line. Thanks Fred

ralvincos

I read somewhere that many 1/2 ton WC's were procured as 'closed cab & chasis'. A wooden bed could have been fabricated for use in WWII, or for in construction of the Al-Can Highway. A wooden bed could be a usage that could be historicly correct, although non-original.

Last edited:

1958 M274

Does anyone know if any of the open cab WC's came with an all wood bed? I'm looking at a picture, of the MVPA convoy and it looks like the WC in front has an all wood bed. Picture is in the new Supply Line. Thanks Fred
Hi Fred,
I think I know the truck that you're looking at. There was a 1/2 ton WC in the convoy that had a home made all wood bed on it. It was wider than the standard bed. If I remember correctly the wheel wells were entirely inside the bed; there were no rear fenders on the outside. It was quite a project when the owner acquired it! He drove it all the way across the country too!
Joe

ralvincos

Identifying early Wc's.

I have never been able to determine which W-number of WCs I have. I know they are both half tons. How would the original poster have determined that his is a W-12? Where do I find accurate information on identifying the W-#?
Anybody's help is appreciated.

twistedjack

Well it has been a REALLY long time since I started this post........

This weekend I started working on this project again. I took the starter apart and cleaned it up. Re-installed it. I bypassed all the stock harness since I found too many chewed up wires. I ran a lead to the coil and hooked up the battery. I was told that the fuel pump was bad so I bypassed that aswell. I ran a electric pump to a fuel can and crossed my fingers............

She started right up and the oil pressure reads 40+psi I let it idle for a few minutes. Tomorrow I am going to run the fuel line to a can in the bed so I can move it around the yard. I will soon be putting most of the parts up for sale since all I am re-using is just the sheet metal. I will try and keep the progress updated here a little better once I get started on the build. I am just excited that the drivetrain is good so hopefully someone can use them on thier restoration.:beer:

Kevin

twistedjack

I drove it around the neighborhood this weekend. Seems to run pretty darn good for a 70 year old truck! This truck has a pto winch on it but I have read that the wc12 didnt come with one? How do I verify the model I have?

twistedjack

So I am just about ready to pull the cab off and get started hammering out the dents. I want to sell the chassis complete but before I sell it I have a few questions. Where is the VIN # located on these? What is a reasonable asking price for the drivetrain?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks