• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Trouble on a Big Tire!

M1075

Had the first flat on the Oshkosh. It was during a fire, so didn't bother to stop until the fire was out. The beadlock worked great, but the tire was trashed when we changed it. Two of us changed it in the field with basic hand tools and a 3/4" impact.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why did it fail in that way (first pic)? Dry rot, overloaded, etc.?

M1075

I've got several pictures up on my website. If you want to see something in particular, let me know.

The tire blew on a rock. See the hole it made in pic # 2. The CTIS was engaged and the tires were deflated so it left the sidewall a little 'exposed'.

M1075

Good question! The CTIS has four settings: Highway, Cross Country, Mud/Sand/Snow, and Emergency. It uses different air pressure for each setting (front and rear) and also engages the necessary differential/axle locks.

Highway - 65psi Front, 75psi Rear
Cross Country - 34psi Front, 38psi Rear
Mud/Sand/Snow - 20psi Front, 23psi Rear
Emergency - 15psi Front, 18psi Rear

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075, I have asked this question before, but never received an answer (on other forums also).
You actually have this system and are using it, so if anybody can answer, you should be able to.

Question: How long does it take to cycle the tire pressure from high to low and back to high? What is the capacity of the compressor on the M1075? On a deuce with about 7 gal/min, it would take a long time, perhaps 20 minutes or so, if my calculations are correct.

EDIT: Cubic feet/min not gal/min :oops:

Thanks,

M1075

Bjorn, I'll have to check the manuals to be sure, but your estimate is close. Those 16.00R20 tires take a lot of air! My memory tells me that it is approximately 4 min between each setting during inflation, with the exception of 8-12 minutes to get to Highway. Times are a little quicker airing down or when the RPMs are up. The settings are incremental (i.e. you don't normally go from operating on the highway to an emergency off-road situation or vice versa). I think the compressor is 31CFM.

rizzo

M1075 said:
Good question! The CTIS has four settings: Highway, Cross Country, Mud/Sand/Snow, and Emergency. It uses different air pressure for each setting (front and rear) and also engages the necessary differential/axle locks.

Highway - 65psi Front, 75psi Rear
Cross Country - 34psi Front, 38psi Rear
Mud/Sand/Snow - 20psi Front, 23psi Rear
Emergency - 15psi Front, 18psi Rear
my michelins say 100psi on them????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks