• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck history

chief76433

Is there any way to trace the history of a 5 ton?It came with nothing.....no kind of title.We got it from the federal surplus and they said they didn't know where it came from.It is an 813 Navy truck.25k and 800 hrs.Does anyone know what a camel on the door means?Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt anyone will fess up to knowing the navy truck numbers. If you can, post up a few pics, might jar someones memory or something.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way is to research with poeple where it was used last. Not where you bought it, per se, but track down the last users and go there. PIA, with little to show for your time, but that is virtually the only way.

Sometimes you can get an idea from layered painted data on the bumpers or dash-mounted rebuild tags, but they are rare.

I was really lucky with my M37. It came from the Army @ Yuma Proving Grounds in '72 (I've had it a while), and I knew the old guys there and they said it was there since new in '53.

My M54A1 5-ton had two dash rebuild tags; Sagami, Japan in '73 after 'Nam, and '84 Nurnburg, Germany. The damn thing has been around the world with the 1st armored HQ5!

dg

carguy455

Lets see some shots of the doors, hood, etc. Check inside doorjams for numbers as well, sometimes painted in there.

I wish I had a way to track mine down as well.

devilman96

If you sand on the left side of the bumper you will proably find numbers there... You can also hit them with paint stripper (spray it on don't brush it) if your attentive about the process it is possible to read several layers of numbers. Using a video camera for re-play during the process helps.

chief76433

We had to haul it home.The fan was in the radiator.We had to replace the radiator,fan and pulley assembly....about $800 worth of used parts.Everthing on the trucks works and it runs and drive great.I will check more closely for the numbers.They had a "cargo carrier perpetual" at the surplus place.I don't know the model of it but it was on tracks and looked like it would go anywhere.It just looked cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks