• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neighbor issue's here in WV

m37_power

I just wanted to post up my short rant. I live in Fairmont WV and I have a 52 M37 that i have been working on for a while now. Ive been moving some things around in my garage to get ready to finally start sand blasting the truck. I left the truck parked in my driveway for 2 weeks. I received a citation from the city advising me that my truck was illegal and I have 5 days to move it. I have new plates and insurance on it, but i dont have it inspected yet. I am going to talk to the city code enforcer tonight about it, but i was told it was illegal to have the truck outside of the garage unless it was a legal vehicle. That includes a valid inspection sticker, insurance and plate on it. She told me that they called the truck an abomination to the neighborhood and that it was nothing more then an eyesore. I just cant believe what its coming to these days. Im going to find out the exact law when i stop by this evening at their office. The worst part was i was going to put the truck back in this week to continue work on it and now this happens. I live at the ends of city limits and the woods are my backyard but i have neighbors up and down the street. apparently because its not a bmw or mercedes they dont want to look at it. Sorry for the rant, but im just dumbfounded right now.

acmunro

I would get it legal as soon as you can. Then there is nothing they can do. My township where I live tried to fine me $ 8,000 dollars plus costs.
When we went to the district justice (judge) I told him the trucks were legal he then witheld his verdict until the twp supervisors could do a site inspection. I had all of my trucks running when they came over and the snow brushed off the inspection stickers. They ended up withdrawing their case because I was legal. Now I'm just waiting for the rules to change.

m37_power

Well for now i can put it back in the garage which isnt a big deal. i was planning on doing that this week anyways to start on the sanding/painting. Now i want to get it primered, inspected and park it back in the driveway so he can stare at it every day when he comes home. The worst part is he didnt even have the decency to knock on my door and say anything to me. He took pictures of it to the city code inspector instead.

acmunro

The worst part is he didnt even have the decency to knock on my door and say anything to me. He took pictures of it to the city code inspector instead.
Not too many people are willing to try to work somthing like that out. That would be too easy and possibly neighborly. I try to respect peoples rights and help out where I can. Sometimes hard to find that in return.
I had complaints about my "junk trucks" all running and PA inspected mind you.
and I don't have any close neighbors - none with a view of my place.

My neighbor and I, even though we are not friends, we are not enemies either. Recently I wanted to put up a fence to keep people from using the field next to my home to park or use as a turn around. Well I could afford to pay for a survey. So I found the most up to date survey maps, took them over to him we took some measurements and I had him help me set out where the fence would go. I did this so that in a few years I don't have to worry about him complaining that I built my fence on his property. I'm sure if I had just did it myself and not included him or given him a chance to object to the placement I would have had problems.

randyman

As a fellow Mountaineer, I was disappointed to read of your troubles. I guess people are becoming jerks everywhere and "Montani Semper Liberi" (Mountaineers are always free) is becoming less meaningful as our state motto. Luckily, I live outside the city limits, because I have 3 deuces, 2 m105's, 2 laundry trailers, an m332, a skidsteer and a couple of running but non-licensed vehicles next to the house. People are always asking about the "army trucks" so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised to get a complaint. Seems like some people just want something to complain about. Oops, now I'm ranting. Anyway, sorry about your troubles.

zout

get it licensed and inspected and for sure talk to the same agent that came and document everything. Antique ?? it is in the eye of the beholder.

Do not go OFF on the official that gave you the citation - take a few minutes and walk them through it all what you have going on.

Surely a problem with neighbors - but why be so nieve ?

Take care of what you need to do and make it legal to start - more neighbors you get on your side - the idiot will stand out and shut up.

Crackerjax

my HOA attempted to Fine me... because I had a big trucks and anything that can tow 5k or more is not allowed and that heavy duty equipment is not alowed..... but they have an amendment that allowes historic vehicles ... My M35 is registered as historic so they droped the charges.....jerks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez I'm glad I live in the country in Ohio. One of my trucks has nothing, no tag or insurance and I can park it out in front of the house for as long as my wife will let me.

(Ok, so there is a downside...) ;-)

sw

m37_power

Thanks for the support guys. I put the dodge back in the garage last night to start sandblasting it. I was hoping to bring my parts truck to my house in town so that i could start stripping the good parts off of it. Now I cant even do that. Oh well, as soon as I get my tags on it it will be back out in the driveway for my neighbor to look at everyday on his way home. Its pretty sad how petty some people can be.

jasonjc

I do live in the woods but I still had the county EPA LEO come out to my place. "Someone" reported me for dumping anti-freeeze and other toxic thing outback. Thus killing all the dog around:evil:. Good thing for me that I knew the LEO and he knew it was a BS report. But it is getting wose here.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you have a never ending stream of dogs around and something kills them and you get blamed? That certainly sucks.

We had a place next to our house that was renting dumpsters out for about 6 months. Not the little ones mind you, the big 20 and 40 cubic yard ones. They would just drop them off the back of the trucks at 11PM. Sounded like a 105 simulator going off.

Well, right before they closed up shop; they rented a large track hoe (excavator) and dug a giant hole over there and pushed piles of stuff into the hole. My guess is that in order to increase their profit margin instead of taking the dumpsters to the landfill the emptied them on their place. Wonder what's in the hole??

I won't change any nasty fluids on our property because I'd rather let a professional be responsible for them. Sort of like car tires. I gladly pay the mandated $1 per tire for them to dispose of them.

sw

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
My LEO with the Sherriffs Dept is also in charge of animal control. I have a huge cat problem , and now they are fare game due to them destroying my property by clawing my paint and cimbing on my restored M37 in my garage. Im handling my animal problem here :-D

Back to the topic, get your weapons carrier legally registered and stick it to them. -Jay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks