• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From Russia with love - The ice capades

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More proof that shows we in the US are not the only one who love older MVs.

sw

66Reo6X6

Neat old trucks. Starting one with a hand crank is no fun though. I have a few I can start that way but only as a last resort. Its my spare starter shall we say:wink:

saddamsnightmare

January 28th, 2010.

Russia's got MV collectors AND Bubba's Too!!!:cool: I wonder if their HOA's cause grief for them over the trucks? I don't think cranking the truck by pushing down on the crank's a good idea..... If a Model "T" with 20HP can bust your arm, imagine what a gas deuce engine could do..... The closed cab deuce is the model that the North Vietnamese loved in Vietnam.. I guess they should bid on some snow chains from GL... No, wait, EUC required!
The GAZ jeep was pretty cool too, too bad we can't get a reliable source in the old USSR to sell primo russian deuces and such here along with parts, lotsa parts.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

duncan

I thought the Tatra (I think) van was interesting(especially when all the junk fell out the back). I'm curious as to what its original funtion was.
Yeah Im guessing Tatra 805: tatra 805 - Google Search

Tatra813 on here has one, he might be able to confirm and tell us about original purpose.

From german wikipedia I read it was originally intended as light pickup truck (1.5 to 2.5 tonnes, in kilos). From there also made as Kombiwagen (no clue), Tanker, Ambulance, Firetruck, and different other utility boxes. First date of construction is unknown, but seems to be before 1952.

roscoe

Yeah Im guessing Tatra 805: tatra 805 - Google Search

Tatra813 on here has one, he might be able to confirm and tell us about original purpose.

From german wikipedia I read it was originally intended as light pickup truck (1.5 to 2.5 tonnes, in kilos). From there also made as Kombiwagen (no clue), Tanker, Ambulance, Firetruck, and different other utility boxes. First date of construction is unknown, but seems to be before 1952.
The Tatra seems to be pretty popular with these guys. Looks a lot like the old VW vans that would explain it being a German truck. Back when I was a kid we had one of the old VW vans.

roscoe

Well the VW designs are based on Tatra. Take the tatra 97 (1937), and the beetle (1938). Tatra already had the streamlined design and rear mounted engine for a long time.

More here (sorry, its wiki): Volkswagen Beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something about that Tatra makes me like it the more I see it. It appears to hold its own off road as well. Thanks for the information on the history. What year would the Tatra vans in the video be? After reading the wikipedia article, interesting that the Germans stole the design and have gotten most of the credit over the years.

Last edited:

duncan

Something about that Tatra makes me like it the more I see it. It appears to hold its own off road as well. Thanks for the information on the history. What year would the Tatra vans in the video be? After reading the wikipedia article, interesting that the Germans stole the design and have gotten most of the credit over the years.
Wouldnt know, but I know tatra has been around for ages. Here's a vid from 1920:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhFiEr-8rbQ[/media]
Also, noticed the van might also be a "Gaz 66", I thought of that before but all the pics I found were more boxy. Now I came across this vid which shows it in a more curvy model. Then again, I think the small van might be the UAZ, and the truck with the troop benches is the gaz. Whatever, theyre nice!
The russkis seems to have everyone beat on rediculous offroading :cookoo: I guess every russian phrase book contains a section on "my car is stuck in the mud/snow/water/all-of-the-above".

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgTq8YDVuZo[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks