• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caution with loadouts!

greenjeepster

I was bidding on a few trailers, but noticed that the site which used to help load now says buyer loads. So I called on it and they will no longer load items into the back of a truck or onto a flatbed for the customer anymore.. They have done a little rearranging of some personnel and the new management isn't as cooperative it seems :roll:

steelandcanvas

I was bidding on a few trailers, but noticed that the site which used to help load now says buyer loads. So I called on it and they will no longer load items into the back of a truck or onto a flatbed for the customer anymore.. They have done a little rearranging of some personnel and the new management isn't as cooperative it seems :roll:
Liability purposes, perhaps?

KsM715

Thats just GL. Has anyone ever gone to BestBuy to buy a tv and have them say "well, you'll have to go into the warehouse and get it yourself, we dont want to bang up your tailgate" :roll:

Its just another excuse for GL to piss off its customers. :soapbox:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Lots of sites / lots say "buyer loads" but I have never had any GL employee not help me when needed.
I guess it's best to go prepared for the worse but like I said, I've had good luck...even with buyer loads stuff.

I would guess this "buyer loads" rule would apply to most unmanned sites?

dittle

I guess its because we get this stuff so cheap from GL that they can't afford to pay for the quality personnel that we were used to having help us.....rofl

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The creekside location has gone to a policy that, if it came in the lot, you have to take it with you. We used to be able to leave skids or cardboard behind. Not anymore.

KsM715

The creekside location has gone to a policy that, if it came in the lot, you have to take it with you. We used to be able to leave skids or cardboard behind. Not anymore.

Now that policy I can agree with. I know If I worked there I would get tired of people just leaving behind the stuff they didnt want.

You bought it, you take it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which location is this?

The lots at Ft. Campbell have said "buyer loads" but they have always loaded me if I needed it.

edit- Never mind. I noticed you talked about some lots at said location so we don't need it posted util the auction is over. PM sent.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

It's Frankfort. GL keeps saying that it is the COs issue not theirs. May be true as the equipment used in the past for loading was National Guard Equipment and labor.

Not mentioning specific lots ;)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"Buyer loads" absolves them of loading if there is no forklift available as in "unmanned sites".
My experience has been that most GL folks will assist to the best of their ability.
I have even had them to ask military folks (if any are available) to jump start vehicles or help load something.
As crappy as Creekside is the guys there went the extra mile when it came to loading my stuff the way I wanted it once the looooong wait to get served was over.

Heavysteven

Probally new managment there = new policy

Email I got

We have new management at Ft. Knox, KY and we’re trying to clean up the invoices, so we want to know if you have removed your property at Frankfort, KY and the date removed. If it has not been removed the next appointment is Friday 2/12/10at 10:00. Contact 502-624-3170 or reply to this e-mail and we will set up an appointment to remove your property.
Thanks you for your response,
MELETA LITTLEFIELD
SITE MANAGER MISSISSIPPI

CGarbee

Wreckerman has it IMHO...

I have never had any issues with getting help loading stuff even though every lot that I ever picked up (for myself or others) has been listed as "buyer load". At some of the locations, there are a multitude of forklifts (various sizes and types) ramps and even use of the air compressor. At some of the locations, there hasn't been anything for anyone to use for loading, but they have still worked hard to help out...

Guard, active duty Army and Marine, and GL...
Maybe I have just been lucky with my locations...

acmunro

Depends on the site. Up until my last recovery I would have agreed with WM and Papabear, but my last recovery at Chambersburg I was on my own with a K-30 dually missing one set of rear duals - drum etc. I asked nicely if they would pick up the back of the truck with a forklift while I winched it on. All I got was a quick NO. He had the forklift right there as he drove it down to have me sign the papers. Be prepared to do it yourself and hope they will help you. That's the way I have always done it.

exbrown

I bought a MTL-60H (rough terrain extenda-boom forklift) that had flat tires and would not start. It was parked where it quit, between a building and a fence and in corner. There was no way to get my truck and trailor to it so I could winch it on. I ended up hiring a 50 ton recovery wrecker to reach over the fence and pick it up and put it on my trailer.

They should have stated this issue when they put it up for bid. They did say buyer loads, but failed to mention it was in a very difficult location. Buyer load in an open lot and buyer load in a confined space is two different things.

The different locations are all very different. Combination of base/GL/employee. I have also purchased several items in which the GL personel when above and beyond to help.

I guess this is part of the fun.

bassetdeuce

Depends on the site. Up until my last recovery I would have agreed with WM and Papabear, but my last recovery at Chambersburg I was on my own with a K-30 dually missing one set of rear duals - drum etc. I asked nicely if they would pick up the back of the truck with a forklift while I winched it on. All I got was a quick NO. He had the forklift right there as he drove it down to have me sign the papers. Be prepared to do it yourself and hope they will help you. That's the way I have always done it.
Wow, I was just going to say that Chambersburg PA was the only site where the GL guy there absolutely refused to help in any capacity. The smug jerk just stood there, and no amount of being nice was going to make him move. You had to have been there to believe it, really. All of the other half dozen sites I've been to were GTG, helping load out or something simple like pointing to a power outlet for my compressor and the like.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told the nation wide policy has changed, GL no longer helps load any private vehicles! If you are a truck line they will load, anything else you are on your own. Last time I was in Hooks they wouldn't even help pull a M105 our of a double line of trailers, expect no help at all.
James

davidkroberts

yeah this liability thing is getting rediculous. If they are that butt hurt about it just make the guy picking his stuff up sign a waiver before giving assistance. If we have to hire wreckers and rollbacks everytime we go pick something up we are going to have to start bidding less. They are getting away with it now but the word hasnt spread yet. Im more concerned about why my bids always get maxed out to just before my max bid in autobid about 6 hours before a auction ends. I hope im just being paranoid but it happens allot. Maybe just coincidence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks