• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M170 New Pictures

rdsar2k

Pic three looks like a drivers seat mounted in the passenger side over the tool box. No wait, is there a tool box under the drivers seat? I didn't know there was one located there. Now I'm curious. Do you have an overall pic of the inside?

Last edited:

rdsar2k

Seats

It is a very clean Marine M170!
Looks like the drivers seat is installed on the passenger side and a M38A1 drivers seat is installed on the drivers side. Maybe it's a radio jeep version which might explain the lack of holes in the tailgate and the odd seating. I didn't see any stretcher rails on the floor or the elusive upper stretcher rack. It also has the M38A1 passenger dash grab handle versus the upper stretcher bracket. I am curious now as to what the dash tag says by the grab handle to see if it says something about it being a radio jeep. It is definately a worthy project.

Last edited:

jimmyparks

I found a complete spare tire carrier in Indiana. $200+shipping. I'm hoping my machineshop friends can digitize the original and make exact copies from it.

68t

I have got some parts for a radio set up, it a large braded cable goes in the grill and radiator with a cooler on it, . the other end has some parts on it. i got a m381a that i am going to restore.

jimmyparks

Just think like "harley davidson" every time you think you've made some progress on the M38A1 you realize you need another 'hundred dollars" in parts.

68t

you not going to believe this.a few years back, i bought a m170 and m38a1 and ww2 ih truck 5 ton. from a junk yard for 12 hundred, but they need a lot of work, i trade the m170 for a lot of halftrack parts. but still got the 5 ton tractor and m38a1, also found a complete m38a1 engine for 1 hundred dollars, but it was supposed to be rebuild in 66 and never been run. we going to pull the head, so hope it true. your sure making then parts look great.

jimmyparks

M170 - m38a1

I just got very lucky running in to Iron7 and him knowing that this particular M170 was just sitting in an aircraft hanger in San Antonio. The deeper I get into the rebuild the more impressed I am with regard to the complete lack of anything but minimal surface rust. Hopefully Kevin will get the engine up and running today and the front brakes installed so I can tow it to the ranch and put it up on blocks and start the sand blasting of the undercarriage, replacing the tie rods, steering linkage, etc. I am so ready to get it in shape to receive all the new canvas coming.

68t

I use to live in garland tx. in the 80ee, was in the chinook unit at grand prairie, if you get the m170 restored, they have a audey murphy day in greenville tx. and a parade. so try out the parade. my friend has a halftrack and other good thing in greenville. they hope to start having more folks for the event. i got 4 halftacks and ww2 jeep and 5ton truck, so i been having fun. this sure is a great hobbie.:p

LOWGEAR

Jimmy, I'm restoring a 1954 m38a1. Do you know the fan belt size or part number. I rebuilt the carburetor and distributor today and getting close to starting it up to make sure the drive train is good before starting on the body.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks