• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zeligson Crane truck

AMX70

Hello,
I am new to this forum and happy to be here. Lots of great information.

I recently purchased a Zeligson 5 ton crane tractor from the GSA auction. It has no M series number placard on it anywhere. Does anyone know what this truck is? It was made in 1991 and has a Cummins 400 BC IV series engine behind the cab. For a trans it has a Eaton CEEMAT automatic 9 speed. The running gear otherwise I have been told is the same as other 5 tons with Rockwell axels and tansfercase.

Now the question.
Does any other Miltuck use the Eaton Fuller CEEMAT trans? Mine only has 552 miles on it but some how the top cover cracked letting water into the circuit card area. Thus disabling the truck. Basically I want to attempt to find a parts trans before paying Eaton $3k for a new cover assembly.

Thanks for any info.

John

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AMX70,
WELCOME to the Big Green Iron family. John, it's no big deal, but one of the few rules on this website is to post where you are. That way, if you need hands on help, someone close can volunteer.

And I concur with Prerunner 1982 - I too would like to see some pix. Not that I can help with you problem, I just love pix of trucks I've never seen before. And wow, a Cummins AND a CEEMAT 9 spd auto! Pretty slick. And you got it from GSA? Way kewl.

And as a side note, perhaps Cranetruck (Bjorn) can help you identify your vehicle. He seems to have a good handle on them.

AGAIN, WELCOME JOHN!! And congrats on the truck. And wait a bit before dropping that $3k to Eaton, as you never know if someone out there has exactly what you are looking for much cheaper.

jim

AMX70

OK, Sorry about the location not listed. I fixed that issue.

I also created a photo album with my ID (AMX 70).

A little history on the truck, from what I understand it was used to install antenna towers. So assume it pulled the trailer with the crane tower parts then erected it via the crane. It has a huge hydraulic head that attaches to the crane end and has auxiliary hydraulic lines that reel in and out for powering it.
I got it from the FEMA facility at Mt Weather in Bluemont VA. It was on the GSA auction as a antenna installation vehicle. Thus not many bids. They also listed it as a 1985 , but its really a 1991. Interesting vehicle with all the creature comforts. Runs great and all the hydraulic accessories work fine. Just need to straighten out this trans issue.

See what you think.

John

AMX70

I learned yesterday that my truck was a last ditch effort for Zeligson to make new trucks vs. referbishing old trucks for the military. Thus its a prototype. They made 2 trucks like mine both went to the field and used by different agencies. How I learned this information is that Zeligson was transformed into All Wheel Drive company and some employees went with the move. I found one of the engineers on the project and he told me about the trans cover cracking 3 times while they had it. He also stated that the trans was Eatons first effort with the CEEMAT trans, so thats why I have not found the same ECU for it yet.

Still working on getting it to move. Its only time and money.

Hope to see some of you at the Aderdeen show coming up.

northwestmarine

hello i found this post and wondering if it is the truck in the pic photo section with a crane on the back.
thease trucke are GMC's and international harvaster the cabs are different thats all pretty much.
the company mainly produced linemans trucks for the power companys citys and such i don't know if this will help you and send me inof on what you need i will be more than happy to help you look i might be able to find what you need and if this is the truck in the pic section can you tell me what type of crane it is on the back i have been looking for this type for a wile and is the rig for sale thank you. robert.
E-Mail northwestmarine@centurytel.net

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI. The engine is a Big Cam IV...low flow cooling...very prone to overheating. If you need cooling system work, take it ONLY to a Cummins distributor, NOT a dealer.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I never would think I'd ever have to say this, but I've never seen an MV that square-shaped before.

TacticalTruck

John's right up the road from me. The truck came from Mt Weather, the under ground White House. Last I heard he had it running and he bought the mate to the 5th wheel wrecker set up I got. It's been in the photo gallery for a while.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks