• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New GL/DRMS policy change?

Nonotagain

Received an E-mail form GL this afternoon and in the message was a note that made me think, how can they do that?

Battle Creek, MI – When the DRMS
determines that property should not
have been delivered to Government
Liquidation for re-sale to the public;
they send us a request to retrieve
the property. If the property has not
yet been sold to the public, we
return the property to DRMS and
that is the end of it. However, when
the property
has been re-sold to a customer, we
are required to notify the customer
that the DRMS is requesting the
return of the item, and that failure
to cooperate with the DRMS in
recovering the item sought can
result in the customer being
prohibited from participating in
future Government Liquidation or
DRMS sales.
Has anyone seen this before? I understand that demil B and Q items can be requested back, but now it appears that any items they decide could have some usefullness can/could be recalled.

dittle

How can't they? Its the rules set to them by the gov't and if you don't comply you aren't allowed to bid on their sites anymore.

Nonotagain

How can't they? Its the rules set to them by the gov't and if you don't comply you aren't allowed to bid on their sites anymore.
So you've have seen this before on non-demil B and Q items?

I would imagine that if GL had to post this policy in clear bold type on their website on each and every auction, that the price of surplus would drop thru the floor.

Who would want to bid on anything that could be taken back with little or no notice?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do a search here at SS. It has happened to a few of us. Anything that gets a de-mil code change can be recalled. I think it even says that in the terms of agreement box you check in order to bid. Might want to read the fine print!

Nonotagain

Do a search here at SS. It has happened to a few of us. Anything that gets a de-mil code change can be recalled. I think it even says that in the terms of agreement box you check in order to bid. Might want to read the fine print!
Gimp, were not talking about a demil code change, but an "awl shucks, we really have a need for those items we sold off and now want them back."

I've made a fair number of purchases from GL that were not demil coded items. Some have been purchased with the intent of keeping a few items for me then selling off the rest to cover my expenses. I don't keep records of these sales, as this is a hobby for me not an occupation.

I guess if or when this happens to me it will be the end of my GL purchasing days.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until another "big boy" comes on the block to put up a fight this bully will keep taking our toys. I havent had the "pleasure" of dealing with GL..but that will change next week, God willing it goes well.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nonotagain, that was the impression I was under, anything can be recalled at anytime. I agree it sucks, but I gotta get it somewheres!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until another "big boy" comes on the block to put up a fight this bully will keep taking our toys. I havent had the "pleasure" of dealing with GL..but that will change next week, God willing it goes well.
GL doesn't have anything to do with it. The "bully" you speak of is the Federal Government ;).

I'm no fan of GL but this is not their fault. They had rather not have to deal with recovering property the Government wants back.

Fort rogers

they can have it back when they pry it from my cold dead fingers! na i just sold everything and no forwarding address, ando now my son is buying stuff???:?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
frodo is right, DRMO can reclassify anything, at any time, without very much recourse. If course, there was a case that went to the Supreme Court in the 1960's that cost the taxpayers a bunch of money (when they lost) that is the reason for that policy.

Here's the short version of that story: Electric Contractor in Sumter, SC bought scrap at Aberdeen for many years, some of his employees did a 'midnight requisition' of some of it and sold it to FBI agents after they put the toys back together. Uncle seized everything and the owner sued for conversion. He won and got multiple times what he paid for the stuff. DRMO has had the rule about reclassifying and getting it back at cost ever since.

Nonotagain

frodo is right, DRMO can reclassify anything, at any time, without very much recourse. If course, there was a case that went to the Supreme Court in the 1960's that cost the taxpayers a bunch of money (when they lost) that is the reason for that policy.

Here's the short version of that story: Electric Contractor in Sumter, SC bought scrap at Aberdeen for many years, some of his employees did a 'midnight requisition' of some of it and sold it to FBI agents after they put the toys back together. Uncle seized everything and the owner sued for conversion. He won and got multiple times what he paid for the stuff. DRMO has had the rule about reclassifying and getting it back at cost ever since.
Once again, the text that I posted stated nothing about reclassifying anything.

What they wrote is that Uncle Sam decided to surplus some items, then at a later date or time decided that they needed the items after all.

I have no issue on demil items, but general commodity items like tents, sleeping bags and what not, I have to question who is running the insane asylum.

Carl_in_NH

I think the issue of whether they change the classification of an item, or simply want it back is a distinction without a difference. Why? Because if they want something back they can always change its classification from a commodity item to a demil code and then demand it be returned. Remember, you're dealing with the federal government here - people who are known for doing things retroactively, like changing tax laws. Is it right? No - not really. Is it within their ability to do so? You betcha.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks