• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2C Pictures Page

M35A2

M54A2C Pictures. What do you think??

Right, I have finally got the pictures of the M54A2C that is for sale over here in the UK. The truck is for sale at a price of $10,000 USD or near offer (£5,750)

What do you guys think of this truck? Please give me as much imput as you can, on the condition etc. Also, looking at the engine data plate, can you tell me what make the engine is if possible. There are a lot of photo's so please be patient.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

M35A2

Ok. I have put together some questions about this truck. If you could be so kind as to add your comments, it would help me lots. Thanks.

---Is the rear cover genuine?

---Is the stack original?

---Picture 10 shows the cab. Does everything look as it should, nothing missing or added? There is a black switch on the bottom left corner of the dash, any ideas?

---No amber marker lights down the side of the truck, is this normal?

---Any idea what size the tyres are?

---Looking at the winch, does it look normal, is everything there, is anything missing? There seems to be a bracket missing (top middle of the picture) on the right hand rear top of the winch, does this matter?

---Apparently the fuel and temperature gages don't work. Are they easy to obtain and fit? I don't like the idea of not knowing what the water temp is.

---Picture 17. What is this showing me (apart from rust)?

---Pictures 22/23/24 show oil seepage. Is this normal for this truck, or are they usually dry?

Does the LDS-465-1A engine whistle as much as the LDT, or does it sound like the 465-1D engine?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Andy

vtdeucedriver

Questions answered
1.)Yes
2.) No, has been cut at the top to go straight up, will be quieter in the cab because of this. My M52A2 had this and I put the stock stack back on with the 90 deg turn. Much louder.
3.) Cab looks as normal, its a older truck, still has the Box seat and a early turn signal control/ control box also under the hood on the firewall........these can get expensive and hard to find from what I am told.
4.)Yes
5.)11.00x20 bigger and heavier than deuce tires!!
6.)Looks complete to me!
7.) Temp and fuel gauges are easy to fix and parts are easy to find............Yes it would be nice to know what she is running for temps, but even then, a waterpump is a easy fix. Could be as easy as a bad ground to the gauge.
8.) Pic 17 looks to me like a cab corner for the top..........nothing to be concerned about!!!
9.) Looks normal, all of mine are wet in those areas. What you want is no big puddles or wet tires!!
10.) that would depend on the turbo installed................My M52A2 is quiet..........but MY M54A2C is a whistler.

Over all, from the pics...........looks like a very sweet 5 ton!!!!! Here in the states $10,000 is high for a M54A2C, but once you added your 3,000 for shipping, well you are there. So I would say for you the price is right!!!! I know the guys have been dogging the 5 tons over the deuce. Yes I will admit that you need to DRIVE a 5 ton. To where the deuce wanders less so you can relax more. But as far as comfort, I think a 5 ton rides better. Try to contact Colin Topliss, he has both.........there is also Stuart Beeney. Their in the UK, I can get you their e mail if you want. My only suggestion is to sand the carc and paint it in semi gloss od and take it to beltrang and have fun with the boys!!!

vtdeucedriver

One note............The tires look really good tread wise.........but in the one pic of the front axle. It looks like the right front has some weather cracking. I dont know if you have vehicle inspections in the UK but some times you can run them out a bit more as a rear but I would always put the BEST tires up front.

M35A2

Thanks a lot for your reply Jeff, I appreciate it.

Yeah, in general I think she looks good. I know the price is high compared to the US, but you have to remember, there is only a handful of 5 toners in the UK. Prices are also high over here for the M series vehicle in general. In fact, there is a M35A2 for sale with a price of $11,400. There is another 5 ton for sale with a price of $10,515. So all in all it’s the cheapest one of the others for sale. I have always liked the 5 toners, but would prefer a 2.5 ton. Just because they are smaller, cheaper to run etc. I think to be honest the main reason the 5 toners are coming up for sale is because of the price of fuel.

In answer to your question about vehicle inspections. The answer is yes, we do have inspections, which are yearly. However, for vehicles that were built before 1960 and that are over 7.5 tons in weight, they are exempt from the testing requirements. They are also exempt road tax. So the only thing I will have to pay for is diesel and insurance.

You mention the signal set up. Are these easy to change for a newer system?

Thanks again,

Andy

vtdeucedriver

There is no easy way to re-wire, which I would believe would happen to switch to the solid state turn signals. I think there is a wire kit to do this. But the boxes are out there, if I were to get some spares for the truck. I would have that on the list. There is nothing wrong with whats there now..........If it still works, i'd go with it. If you get the truck soon, let me know..........I have a old style turn signal kit with that box in it and a spare that I picked up...........I was going to install it in my M37 but decided to go solid state.

Boatcarpenter

Could even be very low on fuel and not have been running long enough for the temp to have gotten above 120. The fuel guage in pic Reo M54 020 actually looks slightly off empty.

M35A2

vtdeucedriver said:
There is no easy way to re-wire, which I would believe would happen to switch to the solid state turn signals. I think there is a wire kit to do this. But the boxes are out there, if I were to get some spares for the truck. I would have that on the list. There is nothing wrong with whats there now..........If it still works, i'd go with it. If you get the truck soon, let me know..........I have a old style turn signal kit with that box in it and a spare that I picked up...........I was going to install it in my M37 but decided to go solid state.

Thanks Jeff,

I will keep you posted. By the way, is the box on the bulkhead you are talking about the black shiney one?

The guy said that on the data plate in the cab it says; Manufactured-Delivered 04/68. But the truck is registered as a 1958. This is possible because people register them as a pre 1960 vehicle so they are exempt from testing. But can a 1968 have old style seats and turn signals. Seems odd that when it was re-conditioned in 1988 it wasn't up-graded though.

M35A2

Boatcarpenter said:
Could even be very low on fuel and not have been running long enough for the temp to have gotten above 120. The fuel guage in pic Reo M54 020 actually looks slightly off empty.

I suppose that's possible BC. But the guy said he has had it for 2 years and they haven't worked since he has had it. What do you think of her condition?

Boatcarpenter

I didn't realize that it was definite that they didn't work as you had said apparently they don't work. Other than that, very nice looking truck. Dropside bed too.

M35A2

Looking at picture 21, the suspension looks odd. There is a leaf spring on the top left, and tie rod on the bottom, but on the right the tie rod is at the top. But in picture 24, you can see the springs are both on the top and tie bars on the bottom. Is this right???????????

rmgill

The Vinyl tops are original. That top new is ~$700 from GMA cover Corp. They sell to civilians too.

M54 5 ton with Winch, Hard Top, 3 Color Camo paint (looks good), 300 hours, drop side, rear Cargo Cover, $10,000 seems good to me. I paid $9,500 for my M813A1 dropside that was without a cover for cab or cargo or a winch.

A 5 ton with a winch, good paint, good engine, couple of minor issues, drop side, is a pretty good price. Any tools and such? CES as you lads call it. Oh, the winch chain needs to be rigged through one of the two front lifting shackles and then the hook hooked onto the other one. That way there's no chance of it catching on anything as you drive offroad. Look at any of the deuces or 5 tons in the gallery for how that's done. Theres a PS that shows the same stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks