• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gears, where do you get them?

KsM715

This is not a WTB post. I have 2 6453 trans from the 5ton trucks. Both have gears chewed up inside. On one I pulled the top plate and checked inside and found the reverse idler gear had some chipped teeth and when you spin the tranny with reverse engaged it locks up at those teeth. Everything else seems free and smooth. (all other gears) Where can I find the gears for this tranny? Do I just take it apart and take the bad gear to a tranny shop and see if they can find a new one or is there a site on the web that would have some with part #'s and all?

Thanks
Jeff

bugei

gears

memphis has them, they are great guys, and really know the ins and outs of the trucks and transmissions. they were a HUGE help with my 816 transfer case, even recommended some seals and other stuff while i was in there.

BUT, be sitting down when you get the pricing. new, for real parts are not inexpensive.

KsM715

Im trying to avoid going that route. Im sure the know their stuff but thats like going to the dealership and pricing an oil filter. I dug thru the TM's and found the part#'s and NSN' s of the gears I need. If it turns out that they are indeed that expensive everywhere then these trans will go up for sale as parts trans w/shipping cans.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second what BUGEI said. I have never bought any gears for a 5 ton tranny, but I've purchased everything for a deuce tranny from Memphis. With all that said, have you considered just purchasing a new tranny? Dave Newman in Philly has new transmissions in cans. That is where I would start...although rebuilding it will be cheaper I would guess (not sure what he's asking). Good luck!

KsM715

I dont need a trans. I got 2 off an experimental GL bid. ( I bid the min. just so I could see what they were going for and got stuck with them, guess I got my answer) So I brought them home to play with. Looking at the TM it doesnt look that hard to replace these gears and have a good spare trans and one to sell, but I dont want much more $$ tied up in them than I already have. (it just kills me to see some of the surplus places want over $400 for just the bellhousing alone :shock:)

KsM715

Ok I have a little problem here. I took the nsn number from the TM, did a google search and found it for $75 from one of the surplus places. The web site has it listed with both the nsn and part number from the tm but its listed in their M35 section. I guess I need to call them tomorrow and ask. Im pretty sure the same reverse idler cluster is not used in both the 5ton tranny and the deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks