• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More MPG!!

Knucklehead

Just before I sold my M51A1 I changed the gear lube in all 3 diffs and the transmission with Royal Purple MAX-GEAR synthetic oil. The increase in performance was very impressive. The truck ran very well and the tranny shifted very smoothly and quicker. I took it out on a route that I usually run, speed range from 30- 55 mph, and I picked up almost 2 mpg. I use Shell Rotella in the engine as the specs are very close to synthetics, but the cost is less. I know a lot of you are not interested in synthetics, but here are my results. I have used it in my wifes car and my diesel pickup for years and have liked the product. I found it to be a little less exspensive than Amsoil.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knucklehead,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

This proves what I've been saying for some time. I have NOT gotten around to changing fluids in my deuce yet. I've currently got a leaky oil seal on one axle (self inflicted due to the hub flip I did) that I will fix shortly. The other problem is a leaky oil filter. Randy Barnes (The Deuce Doctor) and I are working on a solution to use spin on oil filters.

Once those two fixes occur and I have a non leaking deuce, THEN I will be changing over to RP. IF you have never used 'Purple Ice' consider it. It's about $12 a bottle and you'll probably NEED three bottles, but it lubricates EVERYTHING in the radiator fluid system. AND it keeps the temp down by about 20%. As the deuces are already a cold blooded beast, I'm not convinced this will be a good thing. But given that my temp gauge is inoperable at this point (one more thing to fix) I don't know for sure.

THANKS AGAIN for reporting what you discovered by using RP. I'm going to sending this thread to Royal Purple so they will KNOW that some of us ARE using their product in our Big Green Iron.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
On the subject of increasing MPG's, I just removed my rear most drivers side axle and used a front hub in its place. I havent driven it enough to measure MPG increase but it has a tighter turning radius and burns out very easily. I am going to work on an air bag/spring set up to transfer weight onto the forward rear axle. I think that will increase the truning radius a little more and get alot more traction to the axle. Ive got my harbor freight 20 ton air/hydraulic jack and impact set up to run off the truck for a speedy rear axle install when needed. I know there are several people running with one of the axle shafts removed but dont know how much MPG increase they have measured.

Knucklehead

I had removed the inter axle drive shaft and both axle shafts on the rear rear axle. That yielded much better performance, and I did not loose traction as the truck was street driven 95% of the time. It took me twenty min. to put it back together. After the Royal Purple I got 14 mpg. The ease of shifting was really noticeable.

ojsdna744

?

Knucklehead said:
I had removed the inter axle drive shaft and both axle shafts on the rear rear axle.
Sorry for the dumb question, I'm relatively new to the M35. Can you just un-bolt and pull the axle-shafts without messing up the gears in the differential?....just a matter of lining them back up on the install? (I'd jack up the back axle of course)

Is it that easy? :shock:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep, just unbolt the 8 bolts, slide out the axle, bolt up a front flange or an old rear flange that has the axle shaft cut off, boom done! To put it back in you'll more than likely need to jack up that wheel so the splines can align in the diff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks