• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin Legislature Passes HMV Bill

CatMan

Earlier today, the Wisconsin legislature's assembly chamber in full session acted on bill proposal AB592 to change the state statutes to allow Historic Military Vehicles to be regestered and operated in Wisconsin.

The assembly passed the bill on a unanimous voice vote. The bill was immediatly sent to the Senate were it was taken up and was passed on unanimous vote vote. No legislators spoke against the bill.

The measure will now go to the Governor where he is expected to sign it into law in the next few weeks.

There will be more to do in the future. We remain commited to contine to expand the statute provisions in the future as Wisconsin MV owners demonstrate the safe operation of our MV's. WE consider this "A good start".

Remember we did not give up anything. The Wisconsin DOT was able to use an existing state law to deny or cancel MV registrations. They have and they did. Our bill that passed today creates needed protection for all wheeled MV's.

A BIG "THANK YOU" TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FROM WISCONSIN WHO TOOK THE TIME TO GET INVOLVED AND LOBBY YOUR LEGISLATORS. :grin:

Cat Man

lildeuce

Congratulations! I Just sent off for my Florida permanent antique MV tag for my deuce today, hopefully you guys will be able to do something similar in Wisconsin soon.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I remember that this bill only covers MVs going to and from parades, shows, and whatnot. Is this correct?

CatMan

Does anyone read this stuff ???

I said in the first post "There will be more to do in the future. We remain commited to continue to expand the statute provisions in the future as Wisconsin MV owners can demonstrate the safe operation of our MV's. WE consider todays vote "A good start".

Crafting a bill that would allow unlimited use of former MV's for any reason, by any one , for any reason was not going to get past the legislature. The DOT has no data to show they are dangurous on Wis roads and we have no Wisconsin data to show they are safe. The legislature is giving us 24 months to demonstrate and build our case for expanded use after approving the new law today.

The DOT has had the existing state law on their side for a long time. We determined that getting that law changed was the first step. Heck No we didn't get everything we wanted! But we got alot we did want and can drive them. Most of the collectors in Wisconsin that we have worked with plan on using our vehicles with the Historic Military Vehicle plate just like I did before undrer the collector plate. You just can't use it as a daily driver.

There is nothing preventing commecial use if the truck meets commercial motor carrier requirements. And MV dealers tell me that has been done in the past. The very few commercial operators here that still use former MV's tend to now operate them only off road and them transport them by low boy trailer to the next job anyway.

Cat Man

Reactions: emr

southdave

There is nothing preventing commecial use if the truck meets commercial motor carrier requirements. And MV dealers tell me that has been done in the past. The very few commercial operators here that still use former MV's tend to now operate them only off road and them transport them by low boy trailer to the next job anyway. Cat Man[/quote said:
i thought they used the sticker thingy put ntsb to Hang there hat on, as mention in previuos threads. In ohio the farm taged veh. follow the comm.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job fellas!

I have Historic Vehicle plates and as far as I am concerned, I am always going to a show. If you park it a Home Depot, for instance, is someone looking at it? My guess is yes. Then it is at a "show". L.A. traffic is always like being in a "parade"...two speeds...slow and stop.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Does anyone read this stuff ???

I said in the first post "There will be more to do in the future.

The DOT has had the existing state law on their side for a long time. We determined that getting that law changed was the first step. Heck No we didn't get everything we wanted! But we got alot we did want and can drive them. Most of the collectors in Wisconsin that we have worked with plan on using our vehicles with the Historic Military Vehicle plate just like I did before undrer the collector plate. You just can't use it as a daily driver.

Catman...I commend your efforts...and the results thereof.

We can all help here. Catman has 24 months to show that MV's are basically safe for road use. How do we do this fellers?

Well...how about we make sure we don't have any MV mishaps and no MV violations...nationwide!! Wouldn't that send a clear message to WI and other states that wanna ban MVs?

Oh...and how about we don't post on here or anywhere else about something we did...but should not have. Even if we got by with it.

I guess the message here is...comply with the laws of the State you are in...if ya don't know what they are...find out...before ya get "busted" and that includes any State ya might ya might wanna drive through.

I have to agree with the safety folks here...we have MV's from all eras and they are all built to perform on and off road and are capable of causing horrible damage to a POV, person or structure when not under strict control and well maintained.

This thing should not be a fight about safety minded folks VS MV folks...it should be about us all making sure we do what we need to do to prove we are safe and welcome on the road...anywhere we go.

Thanks again CatMan

Attachments

undysworld

Well, I hope I'm just wrong about things, but... What Jeff posted is not what I heard at all.

Here's what I was told:
History of Senate Bill 404
According to this link, SB404 was "tabled" yesterday. That was also the word I got from another friend who watched the session on video. Someone is misinformed, and it may well be me.

Also from yesterday, SB-392 was further amended to include more milvehs in a less-restriced manner. Here are links:
History of Senate Bill 392
According to this link, SB-392 was passed, with it's 5th amendment, so that it now includes Pinzgauers, Kaiser M715s, Humvees, and Ducks.
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB392-SA5.pdf
This is the link which lists the included vehicles. This bill now has the support of the Senate Majority leader.

I'll provide a link to the Senate video feed of this session when it becomes available. I'll also be in contact with Sen. Erpenbach's office to get more info and will post the results.

Paul U

skinnedknuckles

I'm just wondering if anyone from this forum was there? Jeff or Paul U. did you guys make it? I would have liked to make it but too much work to be done. What is up with the language of 1 bill being tabled? If everything went through :beer: It would be a great start to get some kind of statistics up just for mv's so the Widot could have more knowledge about the safety issue of mv's :cool:.
Paul in Janesville,Wis
MVPA member
MVPG member
And a bunch of green things in my driveway:driver:

Always remember when you were a rugrat /curtain climber you learned to walk with baby steps and whenever you took big steps ya always fell on your face:shock:

undysworld

Paul,

I did not go. Sen. E's office told me I could view it on WISEYE.com and that I could not talk, so I decided not to go - too many other things going on here just now.

As it turned out, I spent all yesterday afternoon trying to download a program to allow me to see the video, but to no avail. My info comes from Tom Landmann, who did watch the video, and from the govt links about the 2 bills.

Paul U

stumps

I just finished watching the Feb 23 Senate proceedings:

When SB392 and SB404 reached their appointed time, they weren't ready, so they were moved to the foot of the calender (eg, end of day). When they were ready, SB392 had its 5 amendments brought up for vote, they all passed. Then amendments 1-4 were expunged as having been unintentionally brought to vote, and they were then replaced by amendment #5 ... which had already passed. SB392 was then brought up for vote, and passed.

Next SB404 came up. SB 404 was replaced by unanimous consent with AB592. A concurrence vote was ordered, and it passed. Then it was proposed that SB404/AB592 be placed on the table... at which point it was placed on the table with unanimous consent.

Since SB404 has an Assembly counterpart (AB592) that was passed, I think placed on the table means it is scheduled for going to the governor. As far as I know SB392 still needs to get passed by the Assembly, before it can be placed on the table, and sent to the governor.

-Chuck

jimm1009

I thinnk that this is a really really good start.
Keep it up and stay alert 'cause there are more nuts in the fence lines waiting to screw things up if they get a chance.

Think O.D. Green!

jimm1009

Attachments

stumps

Oh, and for those that keep quipping that whenever they drive their MV's they are on view of the public, so it is a show, or display: Forget about it! The SB404 is quite explicit that these HMV's will only be on the road for special events, and for transportation to and from special events... and you driving around town isn't that special.

Through SB404, your HMV's have taken their first leaden steps towards ossified show queen status.

Congratulations!

-Chuck

CatMan

Yes I was in attendance at the Senate and Assembly sessions and working with the legislators all day yesterday.

And Yes the DOT does point to the "Sticker Thingy". But if you read the law, it says that vehicle must comply with safety regulations. The cerificate of safety compliance (the sticker thingy) shows that compliance. The law goes on to say that owners can add required modifications and equipment to meet the NHSTA requirements.

Those are my summary words but you get the idea.

Cat Man

moleary

Oh, and for those that keep quipping that whenever they drive their MV's they are on view of the public, so it is a show, or display: Forget about it! The SB404 is quite explicit that these HMV's will only be on the road for special events, and for transportation to and from special events... and you driving around town isn't that special.

Through SB404, your HMV's have taken their first leaden steps towards ossified show queen status.

Congratulations!

-Chuck

It also said as needed for maintenance and test drives. Since there is no authority to file a "flight plan" with it would seem to me that the test drive and maintenance clauses leave members a lot of latitude for their MV use.

New set of tires or tie rods? Drive it to the trails to test their installation and functionality... Thought you heard a noise in the front end? - Drive it around to see if you can recreate it for diagnosis...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks