• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Employee Damages My M1009 & Insists I Pick It Up

HeadWizard

I have this bad feeling that this is not going to turn out well :mad:

I won 3 - M1009's in Richmond back in November / December and after an eternity to get the EUC's approved, I went down to pick two of them up last Wednesday, 2/17. The plan was to trailer the worst one back and drive one back that would start. I was going to go back and trailer the 3rd one this week.

We got one running, swapped a couple of tires and loaded up one that had no brakes on to the trailer. About the time we were going to leave, we met another SS member that was also there to pick up a M1009 he won. Nice guy, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. He was driving a Dodge (I think) and had a Uhaul car trailer.

Fast forward to Monday of this week, 2/22, and I get a call from the Richmond GL Rep, Michael Silverstein. He tells me that he had to move my M1009 (with his BIG loader) to get to the other SS members M1009 and that his boss told him he damaged my steering linkage and that he should call me. The GL Rep moved it by wrapping a chain around the steering linkage and dragging it with his loader - and here's the best part - he blames the fact that damage occurred to this other SS member who volunteered to "drive" my m1009. He said the "driver" did not release the brake and thus the BIG loader wrecked my steering.

While I don't hold any blame on the other SS member, I believe that towing a M1009 by the steering linkage with a chain and a loader is irresponsible. The GL Rep has admitted that he damaged my vehicle.

I called GL Customer service and they sent me a claim form which they said would take 2 weeks or so for a decision to be made. I asked them if it would be OK to leave the M1009 at the GL site until a decision was made and they said OK. I told them I wanted them to void the sale and refund my money. they said that might be an option. NOW enter the "Manager" for the Richmond site who says, "pick up your M1009 by Monday March 1st, or you will have abandoned your property".

So now I'm forced to spend a day and a bunch of fuel picking up a vehicle that was attmittidly damaged by GL, that I don't really want now, only to have to file a claim that I'm sure I'm going to get screwed with. If they then void the sale, I'm going to have to spend another day and a bunch of fuel returning the vehicle. I asked the GL Rep if he would sign a statement that he damaged the vehicle and he was hesitant to commit.

Is this a bunch of crap or what?

If the SS member who I met there at Richmond reads this, please respond so I can have a witness to the fact that GL damaged my M1009.

aua

coyotegray

From my experience... The most you will get is a refund.
Then GL will relist it, not specify the damage and sell it to someone who will get a surprise when they go to pick it up.. Post the images. Maybe that will help keep someone from SS keep from getting screwed.

Andy..

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to pick it up. You have a claim! You do need a notebook though, with the dates times etc. I'd start with the base commander. He will talk with you.... He does not want to talk with a Congressman. Some way, he is in charge of the GL Folks. He is in charge of all who are on that base! You don't have to accept damages, etc.

Lee in Alaska

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess, after moving hundreds if not thousands of these trucks, they never noticed the tow/lift shackles, on the front of the truck? GL blows!

I wonder how the GL rep would handle it, if you backed into his personal vehicle, in the front lot of the DRMO ? Just tell them to file a report with your wife, and she will handle it in a few weeks. Tell them she usually does not pay out, but he can try....2cents

greenjeepster

If you pick it up your claim is void. You have to sign the bottom of your invoice which states " Buyer here by agrees to release/waive any and all claims any and all causes of action or damages against GL bla, bla, bla.

If you want are fund demand it and leave the truck where it sets. They are really unlikely to reimburse you for damages when you willingly left the truck on site.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What greenjeepster said. I haven't picked anything up from GL, but I read the rules. Section 8 paragraph I of terms and conditions:

I. You or your agents are responsible for property count and verification of lots purchased at the time of removal. If the property is not acceptable for any reason, do not remove it.

If my truck is damaged or missing parts when I go to pick it up, it's staying right there.

Ray

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would leave it there, and call GL hindquarters and tell them about the Richmond guy demanding it be removed.

Do you have a tape recorder? "this call maybe monitored for quality control purposes" They do it to us, we can do it to them. You just have to legally tell them you are recording. Just say it's for your records. I used to do that to harassing calls from CF. They stopped real quick.

Stonepicker1

If you pick it up your claim is void. You have to sign the bottom of your invoice which states " Buyer here by agrees to release/waive any and all claims any and all causes of action or damages against GL bla, bla, bla.

If you want are fund demand it and leave the truck where it sets. They are really unlikely to reimburse you for damages when you willingly left the truck on site.
:ditto:

frodobaggins

I would leave it there, and call GL hindquarters and tell them about the Richmond guy demanding it be removed.

Do you have a tape recorder? "this call maybe monitored for quality control purposes" They do it to us, we can do it to them. You just have to legally tell them you are recording. Just say it's for your records. I used to do that to harassing calls from CF. They stopped real quick.
Actually, according to federal law, and 38 states, you do not. As long as you are a party to the conversation, or have the consent of one party.

paulfarber

If they refuse to a recording, then overnight them a letter stating the damage and cite the rules from their own web site. No e-mails, no calls.

Verbal agreements are a bitch to enforce... but put it in writing and you are covered, and they know you are collecting information for use against them. If they do tell you something over the phone (again, why are you making verbal agreements?) tell them you will NOT act until you receive the agreement IN WRITING.

RDUKW

The big problem I see he may have is he probably accepted and signed off on the property when he picked up the other two trucks. Even if that is the case GL should still be liable for the damages due to them moving the vehicle.

HeadWizard

The big problem I see he may have is he probably accepted and signed off on the property when he picked up the other two trucks. Even if that is the case GL should still be liable for the damages due to them moving the vehicle.
Nope, I only signed off on what I picked up - one mistake I didn't make. I'm actually supposed to get a call from "Management" tomorrow to discuss the matter. I'm NOT holding my breath.

Went to Costco and picked up the warehouse sized tub of petroleum jelly tonight.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
**** if its just the drag link just toss a civy one on. or give it to me:D
Agreed. In the amount of time you will spend fighting with everyone, you can just replace the bent part. Stuff getting f...ed up on DRMO yards is a fact of life. Y'all know that.

RDUKW

That's great news that you did not sign off on the third truck. I would not pick the truck up if it was me. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

Ryan

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen what stiiring s^*t with GL gets you ...........BLACkBALLED and right or WRONG thats what giving those guys any grief will get you!!! Why cause they call the shots and whether anyone (including me) likes it until the system changes thats life in the GL lane.
Thats my 2cents and that and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee

popacom aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks