• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274A5 pinion seal replacement

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Since I have to replace the bent driveshaft on my Mule, as long as I am there, I need to correct a slow leak from the front differential. A little bit of gear oil will slowly leak out of the drum, so it has to be one of the seals behind the yoke.

According to the TM, it looks like there is a felt washer, a flat washer, then a seal behind it.

I am going to guess a felt seal isn't gonna' have a civvy cross reference # but how about the seal itself?

Thanks

C

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alrighty, let's get down to brass tacks here. I got the civvy # form another Mule guy (Charlie) and I pulled it apart today. Twofold objective: replace the bent driveshaft with a used replacement and while I was in there, go ahead and pull down the brake drum and assy. and replace the leaking front pinion seal. I replaced the brake shoes last year, so I hoped they would not be ruined.

A couple of things: The M274 uses a felt washer in the seal housing to keep dirt and grit out. I don't think anyone makes these now (If anyone has them, Bill Watson would but I didn't call him). I had been advised by 2 different people to simply use 2 seals, one facing in and the other out, but when I got in there, I found my felt seal in good shape and I found the seal housing to be too shallow for 2 seals (or at least it looked too shallow to me). I chose to clean the felt washer, reinstall and then install the new seal.

Also, the seal housing uses a gasket. My gasket was old and ripped but I didn't have a replacement and I do not keep gasket material on hand (I rarely have to make my own gaskets). I chose to clean the heck out of the gasket and use RTV sealant on both sides to try and prevent leakage. We'll see how it goes.

National # 470548.

I would have taken reassembly pics but I was running out of time and daylight. Reassembly is the opposite of disassembly. Remember the rear yoke is a slip yoke and removing the driveshaft will cause a spill. Be prepared.

I cleaned the heck out of the shoes with brake cleaner and reinstalled them. We'll see how they do.

Brake shoes have the Rockwell logo. Interesting.

Attachments

Last edited:

Charlie

Clinto, transmission output shaft uses two seals, front differential input (pinion) shaft uses only one seal. Either clean the old felt washer and reuse it, or leave it out all together, no matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks