• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pictures from Iwo 1945

BLK HMMWV

A friend sent me this link and I thought I would share it .
I hope it works.

To those once young men , in a time of great sacrifice in the service to this great country . I would just like to say Thankyou.

I hope there are still a few that were there , among us on this board.

Or perhapse a Son or Grandson my hat is off to you as well .

Picasa Web Albums - Mark - Iwo Jima

cbvet

Somewhere, I have some pictures my Dad took on Iwo.
Marines weren't supposed to have personal cameras, but Dad took one from a Jap who no longer needed it. He got a Navy photographer to develop the negatives, then had them printed when he got home.
He turned 21 on Iwo. I turned 21 in 'Nam.
He was a Marine helped by SeaBees. I was a SeaBee helped by Marines.

2027Deuce

Just before the Marine Corps birthday last year, a good friend of mine from the 5th Marine Division who was part of the invasion of Iwo Jima and served the duration of the battle, gave to me a jap sword and rifle that he recovered after the battle.

He simply showed up at my home one day with rifle in one hand and sword in the other and said his family wouldn't be interested in these... (there are no words that fit here to describe how I felt)

The sword now hangs in my office with the flag raising photo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks