• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Year wheels went from green to black?

JDToumanian

I want to revert my M35A2 back to it's 1968 appearance... I can see the outline of stars on the door and a circular bridgeplate that was painted in the upper right corners of the doors, and lots of OD semi-gloss... Inside the map compartment, under data plates, and the entire underside of the truck. I've got 4 gallons of Gillespie 24087 and an HVLP gun...

I want to do a little "paint archeology" on the bumpers to determine the truck's history... there's a lot of layers there, but the bottom ones are OD so I should be able to find the original stencils on them. I know my truck is from the army, and is numbered 4L1095, if that means anything.

As for wheels, I've read in posts that wheels were OD for "early trucks" and went to black "later". For 1968, would my truck have had OD wheels or black, and if OD what was the year of the change?

Regards,
Jon

vtdeucedriver

not until later did they use black wheels, probably late 70's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you want OD check out my site for pics.
http:/linehaulrvn.tripod.com

JDToumanian

Holey crap, there's some great pictures there! THANK YOU!!! Those are the best reference pictures I've yet seen! I've scoured the net as well as Google will allow and found very few period pictures of trucks in service.

Invaluable. Thanks!!!

Regards,
Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks