• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salvage yard in the Netherlands

Scrambler

More trucks in the Netherlands.

a Spanish built Jeep with CJ3B components. Rare...

Another rare vehicle, a Mack M123

I even came across a few WW2 vehicles. They should be in a museum, not on the scrap yard... They told me that they belong to their own collection. Still...

GMC with shopvan

GMC with LeRoi compressor

more regular GMC with next to it a Alvis Stalwart, Amphibious Rolls-Royce powered UK 6x6

A few Caterpillar Bulldozers, one with blade plus shovel and all have a huge winch on the back.

A few Half Tracks were there too. They were used after WW2 until the eighties to build/raise the high voltage electrical masts anound the country.

I saw 3each rare M876. I never saw one of them before.

Another rare vehicle, an all Aluminium XM791, 1969 Duece powered Ford 8x8

There were a few of these small tracked trailers. I have no idea what they are or what they're called:

The ± 1950 Ford F6 with Marmon-Herrington 4x4 conversion, mainly used by the Belgiam Army

Both short and long wheelbase

A M816 Wreckertruck in new paint

A weird camouflage colored M49A2

And a few gas powered M62's from the Belgian Army as well, has been sitting there a long time... and will be untill nothing is left there...

A Turbo Diesel powered Bedford 4x4 from the British Army which have LHD because of use on the mainland of Europe

Scrambler

Low-Tech-Redneck said:
Amazing, educational, and at the same time, such a darn shame to see em' wasted :(
Well, not excactly wasted. Both salvage yards from the pix are not scrapping them all. Some of the stacked dueces will be used for parts, most of them will be back on the streets or sold. Since 9-11 it is not possible in Europe to buy (auctioned off), custom made for the USArmy vehicles anymore. They have to be cut into pieces before they leave the auction. So the salvage yards who have them are not scrapping them. Some of them are beyond repair. The GMCs and Half Tracks and more of that stuff will be saved. Some day somebody will come along and bring the right amount of money and buy them...
The idioticy is in the US auction rules. Nice good trucks, very low mileage, will be cut up in pieces of pallet size. They even cut engines and axles in pieces, with the torch... Now that sucks!
I was just in time to buy my M36A2, whistler with 2300 originel miles. I bought it in Kaiserslautern (Germany) DRMO auction.

M35A2

Scrambler said:
Low-Tech-Redneck said:
Amazing, educational, and at the same time, such a darn shame to see em' wasted :(
Well, not excactly wasted. Both salvage yards from the pix are not scrapping them all. Some of the stacked dueces will be used for parts, most of them will be back on the streets or sold. Since 9-11 it is not possible in Europe to buy (auctioned off), custom made for the USArmy vehicles anymore. They have to be cut into pieces before they leave the auction. So the salvage yards who have them are not scrapping them. Some of them are beyond repair. The GMCs and Half Tracks and more of that stuff will be saved. Some day somebody will come along and bring the right amount of money and buy them...
The idioticy is in the US auction rules. Nice good trucks, very low mileage, will be cut up in pieces of pallet size. They even cut engines and axles in pieces, with the torch... Now that sucks!
I was just in time to buy my M36A2, whistler with 2300 originel miles. I bought it in Kaiserslautern (Germany) DRMO auction.

It is criminal that this is happening. Why does the US government think that it's vehicles will fall into terrorist hands? There are enough second hand civilian owned trucks about they could buy if they really wanted one. What is the problem in selling off ex military trucks?

Thank god the UK Military has more sense, and sells us good quality vehicles.

Scrambler

The US Gov is too rich I guess. A totally cut up Duece or 5 ton will make about $ 100-150 worth of scrap metal. They don't care if they can sell them for a few thousand dollars each. I paid 2500 euro for mine (about < $ 3000) Now all they get is less than $ 100 each. Wreckertrucks will go for about $ 200 cause they're a bit heavier...
I've seen new winches being cut up with a torch...
WHY???

deuceman51

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but can these be bought over there and imported back into the country (USA). I'm sure the shipping would be a lot, but there are some really nice and rare trucks over there just going to rust. Really makes me mad to see such waste, even if someday they might be salvaged over there. Wish that salvage yard was my back yard.

Scrambler

Yeah, they can be shipped back to the USA. I know it has been done before. I know of a few Sherman tanks and a White Scout car that had been shipped to the USA about half a year ago so why not a truck or whatever you're looking for? Those M-series trucks have the US papers anyhow. (like the title, except they don't use titles in the service; I don't remember what they call that paper) I believe it's harder to get them registered in Holland than shipping them back to the USA.

neat stuff...

Those little tracked trailers are often used up here in canada for pipe laying in boggy ground,often towed behind catterpillers.
Believe it or not ,the slang term for them is "jeep"...don't know why.
They come in various sizes...those are small ones.

Jones

RE: Military vehicles bought by terrorists for nefarious purposes.
With lots of cheap vans and non-descript cars on the market, why think they'd buy a vehicle that'll stand out like a fish in a tree?

carguy455

I "Think" the logic is that ex military vehicles would "blend" into a military setting, they could "pose" as military, that sort of thing.
Be mistaken for the military..that applies to the current military equipmnet being liquidated by the military though, not all THAT stuff belonging to a private salvage operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks