• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lack of Sealed Bid Results

Hello SS,
Have spent a god bit of time this morning trying to find this information on the site and did not have any luck. Hopefully this isn’t a repeat, if so please link the location……
This is in regards to GL’s Sealed Bid Results, or lack there of.

My company participates in military auctions in many countries including Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, and Sweden. (We are Unimog dealers so focus on those countries) All of these countries have both public/private partnerships for the sale of their surplus. With the exception of GL, all of these countries post the winning results of their sealed bid auctions. GL is the only company that we deal with that will not disclose the results. Please note, I am NOT looking for the purchaser, simply the winning lot bid amount.
There are a number of reasons that I would like this information. #1 – Market analysis so that I can determine a better bid in the future. #2 – A bit of a check to make sure that there are not any auction anomalies. For example if I place a bid for $4000 on lot #100 and see after the auction that lot 100 went for $4200, I know for FACT that I was outbid. When I get nothing other than an “Outbid” notice from GL, I do not have verification of the validity of the sale. (Not that I am inferring anything is going on at GL that should not be.)
I have contacted GL on 3 separate occasions and received the same canned response. “We do not release the sealed bid results.” I contacted the Freedom of Information Office for DRMS and was told that they could not find this information out because GL owns the property that they are selling and as a private company they have the right to decide what information is released. If GL owns the vehicles outright then shouldn’t the FOIA office be able to supply me with GL’s purchase price on these vehicles? I have not filed for this information, but apparently I have a lack of understanding of the contract between DRMS and GL. It seems like a closed circular argument.
Has this information been discussed on SS? Any information in regards to how this works would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Scott Ingham

KsM715

Good luck. When it comes to GL and SS rumors run rampant. I know there are some here that have a link to the contract but it was way over my head so I gave up on it.

I do have a problem with the fact (if it is a fact and not a rumor) that GL owns the "surplus" before it is auctioned off. That is just not right.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Scott,

Bringing your wonder and frustration about GL practices to SS is like bringing sand to the beach! :cool:

GL is inflexible with their rules and spare with supplying any reasoning. They (GL) are the best example I know of where the company is practicing a "take it or leave it" philosophy.

I have spent a few sessions on their online "chat" feature, exploring their methods and rules. You may also find it useful.

If you have any luck prying any info or sympathy from GL, please let us know.

Best wishes with your enterprise.

Rick

area52

You will find that GL is an often criticized company on here.

I believe they don't actually "own" the surplus but just get a certain percentage of the sale price once sold.

We actually had a GL representative on here awhile ago but she left due to all the complaints that she really did not address very well ( in my opinion).

Good luck in finding out any info from GL

Reactions: FMJ

stumps

Most probably the idea that GL owns the material before the auction comes from the SF97 forms. They show a price that is listed as GL's cost for the item, and they show GL as the owner of the item.

It could just be an accounting convenience, but it sure appears as though GL buys the material it sells to us from the government.

-Chuck

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bid on a sealed lot previously, I was able to see the bids after the sale ends. I was the high bidder so I am not sure if that affected anything. Perhaps, you can try to find someone who won something. I realize it won't help you to find out the final prices on all of the items.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks