• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Russian UAZ 469 ??s

SCRAPPY J

What a great site you guys have , came by this site on the web , Alot of great stuff here . Im a big jeep head but I came across a russian UAZ 469 ,all original , 4cyl diesel , 4spd trans , 2spd transfer etc .. The body is in perfect shape , engine runs great, unkown miles , top is on but a little ragged ,looks like some chevy cloth seats , says 1989 vin plate but not sure . I am currently overseas and I have an opputunity to get this back to the states and I thought you guys could answer some questions for me .
-Buying this w bill of sale , no title -how hard is it to get title ??
-Is it hard to get parts for these things ?
- has anyone ever converted these to V6-V8 ? Thinking of jeep driveline
-Is there any aftermarket engine,trans, suspension for this or does anybody know what interchanges,works to modify it ?
-Is it worth it to bring a rare vehicle like this to the states ?I really love it because i drive it daily and it runs great but lacks in HP (only 75) .

Any Info on this vehicle would be great , Love your site -SCRAPPY J

B3.3T

First off, it has to be 25 years old to be excluded from DOT regs for road use. Until then, you would only be able to import it for off road use.

SCRAPPY J

Uaz dot regs

It has to be 25 years old as a foreign vehicle to be excluded?? Are you talking of emissions and saftey?? I already know I have to change the glass , and do some brake line mods . But import for offroad use only ?? I
Also I forgot to ask , could I title this as custom built ?? strip it down , do my own thing to it and get a clean title for It

B3.3T

Yes, as a non-US approved vehicle, it must be 25 years or older to be considered a vintage vehicle. Otherwise, yes, it must meet US DOT and emissions specs. How hard it is to title depends upon the state. Some states you could get a toaster titled, others require and act of God. Its a really big grey area. Ask the US guys with Canadian Iltis, 716 and 718 Pinzgauers and some Unimogs. Bottom line, if under 25 years old, getting it into the US is one problem, getting it titled in your particular state may or may not be a problem. Two completely different issues.

SCRAPPY J

UAZ Info

Thanks for the info B3.3T . Im not going to have a problem getting it into the states at all . Your right about titiling in some states . I know in NC you can title anything custom built as long as it meets DOT standards . I will have to ask around about GA , Only lived there a year or so and have never asked about how to obtain a title .

Any other wisdom on this vehicle ? Thanks

B3.3T

If you can get it into the country, I don't think GA will be a problem. It seems to be one of the easier states. As for the UAZ, you should enjoy it a lot. They are very simply built, tough as nails, and ugly enough to be really cool. Post some pics...

Victor

...all original , 4cyl diesel ,
Are you sure its a diesel? Hmmmm....Must to be newer then 1991.

- has anyone ever converted these to V6-V8 ? Thinking of jeep driveline ...
You are on right track. Small Cummins like 4BT for engine flowing by 1000/2000 series Allison ... Get your mind going

-Is it worth it to bring a rare vehicle like this to the states ?I really love it because i drive it daily and it runs great but lacks in HP (only 75) ...
If you like it - bring it. You don't need any one approval (except of DOT)

Good luck.

Post pictures!!!
nopics

Victor

... it runs great but lacks in HP (only 75) ...
By the way, In Russia by GOST (some think like SAE, common standarts) all engines HP measured on 2,200 RPM. So 75Hp is not maximum power.

On another hand, you always can stick turbo with aftercooler into it.

just 2cents2cents

SCRAPPY J

Uaz 469

Victor, Im going off waht the paperwork says on the year and whe I go on the internet to get info , I cannot find the diesel , it just says petrol engine . I will try harder I guess .

Ive already made up my mind To bring it back in dec when I come home , granted everything goes right with shipping .

And thanks for the engine swap info , you really got me thinking , but I think that this engine in it will never quit .

And also do you no of any suspension upgrades , or anything that will interchange ?? Thanks Scrappy J

I tried to post a pic , would not let me , Can anyone help ? I can send them to an email

Victor

Scrappy,
To my knowledge ( it is limited until 1991) it should have GAZ - 24 petrol (gasoline) wet sleeve engine. It is 6 cylinder straight or I-6.
But in any way if you planing to put some think else (Cat/Allison; DT360(466)/Allison; Cum/Alison) - who cares what is it inside.
FYI: GAZ stands for Gorkovsky Auto Zavod

All GAZ, UAZ etc. are in metric. So some small fabrication are required if you try to put Jeep hardware.

Send me pics I'll post them for you paliy@juno.com

If you need translation from Russian scan and email I can do it for you. Sorry my Arabic is limited, I can only have small conversation not translation of manual or similar documents.

Bring it in.

SCRAPPY J

Uaz 469

Victor , I sent some pics to you , post them up if you can Thanks !

tamangel- I went to those links before , cannot find the diesel on there , I noticed something else about the UAZ I have . It has Coil suspension in the front whereas the wikipedia link says it has leaf springs .

Im thinking someone has swapped some stuff out or the paperwork is not correct on the year . Either way Im bringing it home .

Thanks for all the info! SCRAPPY

Victor

After close reviewing i see it is a turbo. Excellent! Take a look if any ECM where? ECM - electronic control module .
So you can try at first to put intercooler (water or air). then if it is still need more power - bigger turbo.
too bad you are like 1,500 miles away, I'd like to see this after you bring it.

Absolutely, bring it. It is unique UAZ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks