• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooks Texarkana question

Westex

Any members recovered any trailers from Hooks that could give me some pointers? Bought a trailer and waiting on the Invoice now. What's the local rep like?

86m1028

Im with you (waiting on euc ) to pick up some trailers.

I have bought a lot of stuff from there, but its been awhile.

Last time I was there the head gl guy (tall skinny buzz hair) is a ****.

The people at the trailer were NICE but I thinkthey all have changed now.

Base command has you enter the base at the opposite end of the base you need to go.
You use to be able to drive thru the main gate, hang a left at the light & be at the gl building.

I have heard its worse now.

What sale is your trailer in ?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only time I bought anything there, it took forever to get through security. GL were nice folks though.

reloader64

m813rc, Pawnshop, and myself picked up (2) M105A3 trailers last fall. There are 2 or 3 different yards out there, and we never actually went on base. They met us at the gate, and led us to the yard where the trailers were. The people we dealt with seemed nice, but there was absolutely no help loading. We used 2 high-lift jacks, the winch on my car trailer, and a lot of muscle to get them loaded. GL never pressured us to hurry at all. We were there about 3 hours. If Pawnshop or Rory see this post, they can probably give more details as to who we dealt with.

Good luck,
Scott

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I'm also waiting for my invoice for one of the m1061a1 trailers that ended recently, event 5068, lot 7875. planning on pulling it with my 3/4 ton dodge, anybody think thats a bad idea?

dabtl

I find the GL people to be great. Very helpful. Security insisted on registration, license insurance and such. I went to the main yard alone.

blacktop_one

Once you go in the commercial entrance you'll drive a mile or so until you reach the sign in shack. You'll want the room on the right as you go in the main door.
Ditto on the "Bring a copy of your vehicle registration receipt. It is required at security." They gave me a hard time since mine wasn't the current one. No cameras, binoculars, weapons, or extra gasoline allowed on base. You'll have to leave it at the check-in shack. I told the Security guys that I was picking up a trailer at GL and they just did a quick glance to see what was in the bed of the truck, that's all. I was actually two hours early for my appointment in case traffic was bad at the entrance, but since it wasn't, I went ahead and went straight in to the GL shack. I told them I was waaaaaay early for my appointment but they took me anyway (Your mileage may vary). The lady in charge is quite cold/cranky/harsh/direct, but if you have all your stuff together, are cooperative, and really nice to her, eventually she warms up.
The forklift guys are essentially clueless, but if you tell them what you want, they are usually compliant and patient with you. But sometimes you gotta tell them the obvious like "Can you move the trailer blocking mine in?" Oh, and it helps to already have your pintle hitch and trailer lights set up and ready to go, just to save time and aggravation. There's a nice big gravel area to park on as you go to check out and retrieve your surrendered items - good place to do a final walk around to make sure your trailer is ready to go. Duct tape the magnetic trailer lights to the trailer - they will pop off if you hit a good bump, guaranteed. Good luck and enjoy your new toys!

woodyNla

I have been there once. I ended up getting turned around trying to follow the directions to get to the yard and was a few min after cutoff time. They didn't mind one bit and took care of me. Everyone I dealt with were nice and courteous.

It really seems strange that they have you go around the back way to the main yard, when it is just right down the road that they have blocked.

Westex

I know I can pick this up off of the GL site, but do they have specific hours to pick up the trailer? Specific days? Oh, and to answer some of the above, I purchased an M1061A1 5 ton trailer and plan on doing, yes, the magnetic trailer light thing which I already purchased from Harbor Freight. And thanks Blacktop, I WILL take alot of Gorilla tape with me. And yes, I'm going to get it with my 2000 model Dodge dually. And thanks to all of you for the registration reminder. Last time I assisted a member here in El Paso at Fort Bliss, is was an absolute nightmare just to get in, only to find out my registration was 'stale'. But I got in. And that's another story.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was there Thursday to pick up two trailers, no help from GL in loading, at all! IF you are just picking up on trailer I think you can go through the main gate, if you have a trailer you must go through the truck gate about a mile or so further past the main gate. I pulled my 5 ton trailer home with my Armada, so a one ton should do fine, don't expect to go much faster than 50 mph, they fishtail pretty easy and with no trailer brakes it can be a butt puckering experience.
James

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received my EUC/Paid invoice for Event 5068. This one only took 11 days, GL still blows:wink:

blackxj

Been there many times and they are great folks! I live about 20 minutes away. If you or anyone else needs anything picked up and held for awhile, just let me know. I have a big yard! John

86m1028

I know I can pick this up off of the GL site, but do they have specific hours to pick up the trailer? Specific days? Oh, and to answer some of the above, I purchased an M1061A1 5 ton trailer and plan on doing, yes, the magnetic trailer light thing which I already purchased from Harbor Freight. And thanks Blacktop, I WILL take alot of Gorilla tape with me. And yes, I'm going to get it with my 2000 model Dodge dually. And thanks to all of you for the registration reminder. Last time I assisted a member here in El Paso at Fort Bliss, is was an absolute nightmare just to get in, only to find out my registration was 'stale'. But I got in. And that's another story.

If you want pm me your #.
Have you heard back yet about your euc ?
Maybe we can caravan together.

nonpro

You will need to call ahead and you will probably be speaking to Ms. Neely. As stated above take the commercial entrance then go to the stop sign and take a right. Travel 1/4 mile and you will see a smaill Office trailer on the left (usually many 18 wheelers waiting to get in and out). Park there and go inside and to the right bring current DL, regristration and insurance card. You will need to check any firearms. Once you get to the inspection point go straight to the stop sign and make a left. follow that road until you pass the scrap vehicles and take a right then go till you cross the railroad tracks and make a left. Once on that road it makes a couple of lazy right hand turns and you will cross 2 or 3 cross streets then it will come to a T intersection. Make a left and proceed till you reach the end of that street and make a left and you should see the DRMO yard. The GL trailer is at the end of the yard and is the second to last building on the left. If you are early go inside and let her know you are there and she will probably tell you to go back to your truck and wait for her to call you back to load. Be patient as she can get you in fast or if you bug her she can make you wait for ever. Use zip ties to hold magnetic lights on and they will not move.Good luck also watch for the Base Security as I was pulling a 18 ft trailer there and it had no plate on it and it took them 1 hour and 25 min. to clear me once I was on the base at the GL site.

Westex

Is this to say you can check your weapons at the front entrance or secondary entrance? Reason I ask is that I don't EVER travel without weapons. And I'm making extravagant arrangements to store them before my pickup of the trailer. If the base will hold them, that would be nice....???

nonpro

Is this to say you can check your weapons at the front entrance or secondary entrance? Reason I ask is that I don't EVER travel without weapons. And I'm making extravagant arrangements to store them before my pickup of the trailer. If the base will hold them, that would be nice....???
When you get to the truck entrance which is the first entrance you will go into that building and bring you DL Ins. and reg. and you can check your wepon there. Be sure to unload all firearms before entering the building.

Westex

Well, as a finality to this post, I showed up, checked my weapons as discussed above. No hassles, just alot of oohs and aahs. You have to check fix blade knives, too. So off I go and meet Ms. Neely and it all went smooth as silk. Red River Army Depot GL people were very polite, but I could tell the onsite GL rep was serious about scheduling an appointment and keeping it. Overall, in a nutshell, it was an enjoyable experience, given that the trailer had no mechanical issues except for a cut on a tire. And even it held pressure all the way home.

86m1028

Well, as a finality to this post, I showed up, checked my weapons as discussed above. No hassles, just alot of oohs and aahs. You have to check fix blade knives, too. So off I go and meet Ms. Neely and it all went smooth as silk. Red River Army Depot GL people were very polite, but I could tell the onsite GL rep was serious about scheduling an appointment and keeping it. Overall, in a nutshell, it was an enjoyable experience, given that the trailer had no mechanical issues except for a cut on a tire. And even it held pressure all the way home.
nopics

post up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks